aarch64 / rpi3b+ / no headless boot since today

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Re: aarch64 / rpi3b+ / no headless boot since today

Postby lategoodbye » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:15 am

@mmoya Thanks a lot. This shows me that the mainline kernel is running with the downstream device tree. This isn't reliable as already said in viewtopic.php?f=65&t=15791

This isn't a kernel regression, it was just luck that it worked until now. The Arch Linux distribution must be fixed instead. Sorry, i cannot help here.
lategoodbye

Postby df8oe » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:32 am

What is the conclusion of this? Aarch64 should be not proposed for use with Raspberry Pis?
df8oe

Postby ufo6000 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:48 pm

To be more precise,
the question is not "Aarch64", but kernel linux-aarch64 versus kernel linux-rpi (with Architecture aarch64).

I have thought about this too, an was thinking about the missing installing image with linux-rpi with Architecture aarch64 recently:
Raspberry Pi 3 / 4 - 3 possible ways of operating https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15846
ufo6000

Postby lategoodbye » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:13 pm

FWIW: I compiled Linux 5.16.5 (arm64/defconfig, mainline) and ran it under with Raspberry Pi 3 B Plus + Raspberry Pi OS 64bit (without U-Boot). Issue was not reproducible.
lategoodbye

Postby SnowRaptor » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:37 am

Pinging to report that I have a similar issue.

Ran pacman -Syu && reboot yesterterday and my pi 3B+ didn't come back online. The ACT LED blinked a pattern of two short pulses and a long pause for 6 times and the device didn't appear on the network.

The dtb files were dated Jan 27, 2020 and the kernel version was linux-aarch64-5.16.3-1.

Trying o boot with HDMI, no dice: black screen and the same blinking pattern. I just copied over the /boot directory from a fresh ArchLinuxARM-rpi-aarch64-latest.tar.gz file and managed to boot the pi to the console, but the only network device available was lo. At boot, I got a message like
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
Net: no ethernet found
')

Booting the SD card in qemu and updating raspberrypi-bootloader to version 20220202 just made the HDMI output go black after a few seconds booting (even with hdmi_safe=1 in config.txt).

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('lategoodbye', '@')mmoya Thanks a lot. This shows me that the mainline kernel is running with the downstream device tree. This isn't reliable as already said in viewtopic.php?f=65&t=15791

This isn't a kernel regression, it was just luck that it worked until now. The Arch Linux distribution must be fixed instead. Sorry, i cannot help here.

I just booted the SDcard again in qemu and replaced linux-aarch64 with linux-rpi as suggested and was successful:
  • Boot to console with HDMI attached
  • Ethernet working
  • Boot without HDMI attached.

Thanks @lategoodbye!
SnowRaptor

Postby othersimon » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:39 am

I was also unable to boot (on either 3A+ or 3B+) whether attached to HDMI or not.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('lategoodbye', '@')mmoya Thanks a lot. This shows me that the mainline kernel is running with the downstream device tree. This isn't reliable as already said in viewtopic.php?f=65&t=15791

Just to clarify, does this mean that an update to the uboot-raspberrypi package (which owns the *dtb files @mmoya listed, the same ones present on my aarch64 installation) will replace these dtb files with the correct (mainline) ones?

As a further comment to all this, I'm a new user on Arch Linux ARM and this is the second time in a couple of months my installation has been left unbootable after an upgrade. I've used Arch Linux on x86_64 for over 10 years and only once had an unbootable system due to updates (and that was before I properly understood proper system administration in Arch, mostly my fault). So this is a bit disappointing.

However now that I've been reading various forum posts to try and solve this issue it's become clear that some experienced Arch Linux ARM users and/or developers recommend against using aarch64 (or at least against using the linux-aarch64 kernel and uboot-raspberrypi instead of the linux-rpi kernel and associated bootloader packages).

This is not mentioned anywhere on the installation page for RPi 3, it would be a great help to new users if they knew of the potential issues before deciding on an aarch64 installation. I can't see a way to edit these pages (the wiki section can be edited via pull request on Github but I can't see a way to edit or make suggestions for the installation tab).
othersimon

Postby KwaXi » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:58 pm

I think for now the easiest way is to downgrade to 5.16.2 (or earlier) and pin linux-aarch64. Every other step will be determined by an recommendation of Arch maintainers that I'll expect in the next couple of weeks. This will also bringt an update of the installation images available for download coupled with an update of the documentation.

Arch is a rolling release distro, so we (hopefully) all knew of the risks that come with this model, compared to distributions with curated releases every few months, e.g. like Ubuntu.
KwaXi

Postby jsermer » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:53 pm

had the same issue...i followed this guide from my desktop and was able to install linux-rpi from within the chroot onto the sdcard which replaced the faulty kernel and i'm back in business:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/QEMU#C ... rom_x86_64

i was unknowingly previously running the incorrect linux-aarch64 kernel which also stopped the following kernel messages i was seeing constantly

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'i2c-bcm2835 3f805000.i2c: i2c transfer timed out')
jsermer

Previous

Return to General