gnome-initial-setup result not usable for RPi 4

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

gnome-initial-setup result not usable for RPi 4

Postby dbeach » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:28 pm

Starting with ArchLinuxARM-rpi-aarch64-latest.tar.gz installed on a 32GB SD for RPi 4 with dual HD HDMI monitors, all released patches applied. For pacman -S gnome choosing all, jack2, pipewire-media-session, noto-fonts-emoji, the defaults. For pacman -S gnome-initial-setup, choosing xdg-desktop-portal-gnome, the default. Rebooting after systemctl enable gdm.service gets an alarm login, but on login both monitors display the expected graphics, then on goes blank, then gnome crashes.

Manjaro gnome runs fine on same machine using a 32GB SD card and allocating 320MiB memory pool for CMA on boot. I note the archlinux configuration allocates only 64MiB for CMA memory pool. kernel: [drm:vc4_bo_create [vc4]] *ERROR* Failed to allocate from CMA: is thrown when gnome starts. Including cma=320MB in /boot/cmdline.txt does not change the allocation. Is there a simple way to increase the CMA allocation on boot? Does it seem reasonable that this error is the cause of gnome crashing? journalctl entries from boot to crash given in attached file. [Edit: It seems no file upload is allowed, no matter what extension is used.]
dbeach

Re: gnome-initial-setup result not usable for RPi 4

Postby dbeach » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:59 am

So then, some reads but no replies in over a week. Right. Further work shows the gnome-initial-setup package is flagged for no updates in years, although I still think the CMA allocation pool is the problem. kernel.org documentation about changing the CMA pool at boot did not yield a way to change that pool at boot.

My path forward was changing to a Manjaro minimal installation for RPi 4. The 5.15.24-1-MANJARO-ARM-RPI kernel has sufficient CMA pool allocation to support gnome. Upon installation all hardware is configured. Running pacman -S gnome resulted on a working minimal gnome configuration. It's too bad Arch Linux ARM does not have something similar "out of the box."
dbeach

Postby graysky » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:12 am

EDIT: did you try adding this to /boot/config.txt
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-256
dtoverlay=rpivid-v4l2
disable_overscan=1
disable_fw_kms_setup=1
')
graysky
Developer

Postby dbeach » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:04 pm

I had not, but now I have; no difference, starting with still getting 64MiB CMA pool allocation. But thank you for the response.
dbeach

Postby graysky » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:40 pm

Recommend you post this problem to the RPi forums. More coverage there. https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewforum.php?f=29
graysky
Developer

Postby dbeach » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:01 am

Thanks for the suggestion. On browsing the Pi forum I found the problem has already been posted, no definite solution found.
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopi ... a#p1657232
dbeach

Postby jyno » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:07 pm

OFF TOPIC but may be useful...
Try Lumina or LXQt. These desktop environment software are very efficient intuitive and lightweight.
jyno

Return to General