Mouse events blocking everything else

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Mouse events blocking everything else

Postby eeyoreofborg » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:04 pm

Hey,
Using raspberry pi 4 with ARCH and XFCE.

I was getting some severe pointer lag after the last update. After some investigation i've discovered the following:

-I've tried a couple of different mice and both lag. One was a Kingston Bluetooth mouse and the other was XP-Pen tablet.
-I've changed usbhid.mousepoll to 8 and 16, the behavior changes but doesn't improve.
-My processor says it's working at 1.0MHz, so, not getting throttled I guess.
-Every event pauses until the mouse pointer is fully updated, which means every program stops until the pointer stops moving. I can even disrupt the shutdown process by continuously moving the mouse!

Thanks.
eeyoreofborg

Re: Mouse events blocking everything else

Postby robg » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:25 pm

This topic is better suited for the ARMv8 subforum.

But in any case, I suspect that you are running into this problem. For the moment, downgrade your kernel and put it on the ignore-updates list.
robg

Postby darksky » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:42 pm

I have gotten around this by creating 2 patches reverting 2 recent upstream commits until things hopefully gets sorted out with RPi kernel 5.15.33. Besides XFCE I am also seeing this with Mate. I have not tried other DE's.

https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/ ... hacks.diff

https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/ ... ation.diff
Last edited by darksky on Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darksky

Postby eeyoreofborg » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:59 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'B')ut in any case, I suspect that you are running into this problem. For the moment, downgrade your kernel and put it on the ignore-updates list.

Thanks! I downgraded the kernel and it worked using https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/downgrading_packages#Return_to_an_earlier_package_version.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'T')his topic is better suited for the ARMv8 subforum.

I will, however my kernel is using ARMv7.
eeyoreofborg

Postby cyberjunkie1970 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:10 pm

I just wanted to put this out there. My husband and I each use Raspberry Pi 4's and they both have Arch Linux. His is ARMv7 and mine is ARMv8. I didn't get this problem on mine but he did on his, so it may be something that only affects ARMv7. I know my sample size is very small, but it's something to consider.
cyberjunkie1970

Postby solskogen » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:57 am

No, I see this on aarch64 as well.
solskogen

Postby cyberjunkie1970 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:18 pm

Check that you have the most recent firmware on the Pi 4. I tried updating the one we have that's on armv7 and the kernel was able to update with no freezing on mouse movement afterward. I installed the most recent "stable" firmware.
cyberjunkie1970

Return to General