installing arch linux arm on Lenovo A3000H tab with mt6589

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

installing arch linux arm on Lenovo A3000H tab with mt6589

Postby rupeshforu3 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:48 pm

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have a pc with Intel i3 10th gen processor and Asus prime H 510 me motherboard. I have installed Arch Linux and windows 11. I also have a Lenovo A3000H tablet and it has media tek mt6589 processor. I want to install arch linux on to it.

Unfortunately there is no specific guidelines or documentation on how to install linux on Android phone or tablet and so I have created this thread.

I have experience in installing Linux operating systems since 15 years and installed a number of distributions including Arch Linux, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu etc., but don't have any experience in installing Linux operating system into arm based systems like Android phone or tablet. I have experience in filashing custom roms into Android phone or tablet using flash tool and twrp recovery manager.

My tablet consists of media tek mt6589 cpu which has 4 cores of ARM CORTEX A7 @ 1.2 ghz and It also has 16 gb rom and 1 gb Ram.

so I have downloaded file from arch linux arm download page with the following entries

ARMv7 Multi-platform ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz

If you think that my assumption is wrong please suggest the correct file.

I have copied the file to my system and issued the command

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz ./temp
')

At present I am able to see some directories and files under temp directory.

Based upon my previous experience I have reached this point but I don't know how to flash or install these files under temp directory to my Lenovo tablet.

One small question is does the installation of arch linux arm removes my Android jellybean os and if yes I still want to install arch linux arm into it.

Kindly please try to suggest how to run arch linux arm on my Lenovo tablet. Try to suggest any documentation or guidelines.

Regards,
Rupesh.
rupeshforu3

Re: installing arch linux arm on Lenovo A3000H tab with mt65

Postby rupeshforu3 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:30 pm

gsm arena states that my tablet has mt 8125 and cpuz in my tablet shows that my tablet has mt mt8389 hardware.

Does the installation is same for all mt 6589, mt 8125, and mt 8389.
rupeshforu3

Postby RandyMoore » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:22 am

Hey Rupesh! The file you downloaded seems right. Use TWRP to flash the files. Installing Arch Linux ARM will remove Android. :roll:
RandyMoore

Postby Marki » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:03 am

Hii, Rupesh. To install the arch linux on your tablet, you need to follow the steps written below:
1) Unlock the bootloader of your tablet.
2) Then you will need a custom recovery. For that, you can install TWRP
3) The files you extracted from the Arch Linux ARM image, copy & paste them in the tablet.
4) Now, boot the tablet into recovery mode. Booting the tablet in recovery mode will open the TWRP interface.
5) After that, navigate to the folder where you pasted the Arch Linux ARM files and then select the appropriate file for flashing.

Optional: You can also wipe the data of the tablet via factory reset before flashing the Arch Linux.

6) Upon the flashing is completed, reboot the tablet.
Marki

Postby rupeshforu3 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:53 am

Hi the file I have downloaded from arch linux arm is tar.gz file and it's not flash file to flash through twrp recovery manager.

I have copied the downloaded file to my tablet internal memory.

I have unlocked the bootloader and opened twrp and tried to flash but I can't find any zip file. Twrp recovery manager can flash files ending with.zip and.img.
rupeshforu3

Postby FritzLemke » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:00 pm

Hello, i am new here, Can I ask a question?
FritzLemke

Return to General