syslog-ng-4.4.0-1 doesn't start

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

syslog-ng-4.4.0-1 doesn't start

Postby neildarlow » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:22 am

Hi,

The latest syslog-ng update to 4.4.0-1 is broken. The service won't start and journalctl -xeu syslog-ng@default gives no clue other than a failure due to exit code EXIT/1.

This was a significant update which introduced a number of new dependencies. Archlinux.org has a 4.4.0-2 with updated libnet in the testing repository. Do we, as ArchlinuxARM users, also have access to that? If it matters, I'm on armv7h.

Regards,
Neil Darlow
neildarlow

Re: syslog-ng-4.4.0-1 doesn't start

Postby neildarlow » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:18 pm

The issue appears to be a missing /etc/syslog-ng/scl.conf file which is referenced in /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.

Without this file it falls-back to another one which has dependencies on Python and Java etc. For now, I've commented out Line 2 of /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf to disable the @import scl.conf.
neildarlow

Postby Mollie Bennett » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:56 am

Check if a newer update of syslog-ng is available from the official Arch Linux ARM repository. You can use the following command to update:
[code]sudo pacman -Syu[/code]
If a new update is available, install it and check if the issue is resolved.
Mollie Bennett

Postby damiarobber » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:27 am

If the /etc/syslog-ng/scl.conf file is missing, as mentioned in /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf, then the problem can be with that file.

A different one that relies on Python, Java, and other frameworks will be used in its place if this file is missing. To deactivate the @import scl.conf for now, I have edited out Line 2 of /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.
damiarobber

Return to General