[Resolved]error: failed to commit transaction...

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

[Resolved]error: failed to commit transaction...

Postby ThinkFast » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:24 pm

I installed Archlinux on my Pogoplug E02 in February using the instruction on the Archlinux Pogoplug V2 E03 page.
It took a few tries, but I got it running and updated packages according to the instructions on Hacking the POGOplug. The definitive guide: Step 1: Updates and Tools.

Now I have returned and I tried to repeat the same steps. I got:
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
filesystem: /bin exists in filesystem
filesystem: /sbin exists in filesystem
filesystem: /usr/sbin exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

So I went to the news section: "Binaries move to /usr/bin requiring update intervention" and followed the directions.
Running this command: "$ pacman -Qqo /bin /sbin /usr/sbin | pacman -Qm -" returns an error to the effect that the owner of "/bin" could not be determined. If its critical, I can regenerate that error again and give the exact error message.

To an experience Linux user, this is probably an easy fix. For a novice like me, I need the exact instructions in detail. I'm surprised the solution in the news section wasn't updated, given that many others got these errors as well.

At this point the easiest solution seems to be to format my USB boot stick and reinstall the latest version.
Any other suggestions?
Last edited by ThinkFast on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThinkFast

Re: error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:30 am

Fastest: reformat

Learn right:
pacman -Qo any file in /bin . If something comes up, that is the culprit, and you can likely move that to /usr/bin by hand. All files *should* be tracked by pacman, and if they are not, then you have something else placing things you are not fully aware of :)
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)

Postby ThinkFast » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:12 am

Ok. Thanks!
ThinkFast

Return to General