chromium tabs/extensions crashing repeatedly

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

chromium tabs/extensions crashing repeatedly

Postby ncraike » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm having an issue with Chromium in Arch Linux ARM, running on my Samsung Chromebook. Simple pages like Google searching and the Arch Linux wiki seem to work fine, but particular pages and extensions consistently crash.

My Gmail inbox page consistently crashes the tab (showing this) part-way through loading. The Google Plus site behaves similarly. Extensions such as"Google Hangouts" crash repeatedly. Chromium will pop up a notification the extension has crashed, with an option to restart them. Restarted extensions crash again within a few seconds.

I have chromium 30.0.1599.66-1 installed. I believe the Samsung Chromebook is an ARMv7 architecture. I'm using i3 running on X as my window manager. My Arch Linux ARM install is about a week old. I've upgraded everything today with pacman -Syu (the issue occurred before and after the sysupgrade).

I've tried removing ~/.config/chromium, and this doesn't seem to make a difference. Gmail page crashes still occur even with no extensions installed, no Google Chrome Sync activated, etc - effectively at factory default settings.

Any suggestions? Is anyone else having similar issues? Any idea how I might gain additional debugging information on crashed tabs/extensions? (The chrome://crashes page seems to be disabled in Chromium.)

This is the only version of chromium I've installed in this Arch install, so I don't have any previous cached versions. Is there anywhere I could get previous versions for downgrading? (From what I can tell, it doesn't look like there's an equivalent of the Arch Rollback Machine mirrors for ARM architectures.)

Any help would be appreciated.
ncraike

Re: chromium tabs/extensions crashing repeatedly

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Did you copy the plugin binaries from the CrOS install?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby ncraike » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:48 am

No I did not. Is that something I should do? Where might I find instructions on that?
ncraike

Postby ncraike » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:36 am

Okay, I didn't find any good instructions on installing the binary extensions from ChromeOS. (I also haven't been running ALARM the past week; the Chromebook had a broken screen, just got it replaced today.)

But, I've just updated to the latest chromium version, 30.0.1599.101-1.1, and the issue is no longer occurring. I can load my Gmail inbox and use the Hangouts extension, and the tab/extension doesn't crash. So far no tab crashes at all. So perhaps that was just an issue with that chromium build.

Note I still haven't installed any binary extensions. I haven't tried Flash support yet (and I imagine it'll be broken without Pepper, etc), but that's not really a priority for me at the moment, and it seems unrelated to my Gmail/Hangouts issues.
ncraike

Return to General