Future Builds.. Don't use Extended Filesystems

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Future Builds.. Don't use Extended Filesystems

Postby flahavin44 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:13 am

Please consider not using the extended file system on future releases.. Since the build has less than 4 partitions ...not sure why it's being built with the extended partition... If you are just using a fat32 boot partition and a root partition with the remaining of the 2 gigs..not sure why you are using the extended format...By using the extended format...you are preventing me from simply using a utility to expand the root partition to use the rest of my SD card (using Raspberry Pi) using the resizefs util...I got my current server working by copying the entire fs on another machine..then repartitioning the system..then copying the files back.. which was pretty kludgy..and destroys file permissions
flahavin44

Re: Future Builds.. Don't use Extended Filesystems

Postby moonman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:23 am

You destroyed file permissions because you didn't do it right. I can easily cp -a back and forth, as an option you can create a tar. Afaik extended is used because NOOBS requires it. http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

For reference: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3119&start=30, especially the last post.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: Future Builds.. Don't use Extended Filesystems

Postby pepedog » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:25 am

The foundation wants it that way, all distro have the same layout
pepedog
Developer

Return to General