TimeMachine in netatalk still need TMShowUnsupportedNetwork

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

TimeMachine in netatalk still need TMShowUnsupportedNetwork

Postby ouchyoung » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:59 am

I read some articles using netatalk 3 for mimicking a Time Capsule. I installed and configured netatalk on my GoFlex Home as ArchWiki says. However, I have to modify the OS X with "defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1" or the trick doesn't work. I am wondering how should I recover my files if the OS X broke down or I would change my hard disk in my macbook.

So I searched around and it says that in netatalk 3, there is no need to modify the "TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes" value as netatalk has made the server appears as a real time machine. I read the ArchWiki again and I'm sure I followed everything except the last one:

"Enable Bonjour/Zeroconf

Bonjour/Zeroconf is now a requirement of netatalk and is compiled by default. No configuration is necessary, netatalk will register its own services using the dbus link. Make sure you set -mimicmodel to the desired string (see /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Info.plist on a Mac for a full list).
"

But it seems that netatalk enables Bonjour automatically... I don't know what I should do with Bonjour/Zeroconf. Should I tell avahi to mimic a timemachine in some configuration file?

Thanks for your help!
ouchyoung

Return to General