moving install from small SSD till 1 TB HD?

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv5 repo.

moving install from small SSD till 1 TB HD?

Postby kbaggen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi there,
currently I got a sysmten running on a 60GB SSD as root disk + 2TB slave + 1TB USB on my NSA325!

Now I wish to replace the SSD with a 1TB HD I go lying around.

I looked at: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/full_system_backup_with_rsync but I am not sure if I got it right!

So can I:
1. Take out the 2TBG slave put in the new HD.
2. using the command (and ofcouse change accordingly):
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# rsync -aAXv --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found"} / /mnt/newarch')(whereas I need to both "mkdir /mnt/newarch" and "mount /dev/sdXX /mnt/newarch" before starting rsync)

3. Take SSD out and put the new HD at it place
4. Put 2TB back in too.
5. and then boot up and it will run just as it did on the SDD (except of the excluded folders) or do I also need to install a bootloader on that new 1TB disk?!?!?

Or, before swapping the new HD with the SSD (hence, doing after point 2):
6. use the following code:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'grub-mkconfig -o /mnt/newarch/boot/grub/grub.cfg')

Seems a bit unclear to me how to install the bootloader if that is the case?

----------
Second, question currently the SSD is used as I am running TVheanded pvr server, and as such had some issue back in time witch glitches and thought it was connected to HD spped.......later I fund out it was likely the Ethernet speed of ATV4 giving issues too.! So now I wish to change, but if some of you do know a HD is to slow for full HD bitrates at 13-14mb/s then I would reconsider....but a 7200rmp drive should be ok I guess!

Klaus
kbaggen

Re: moving install from small SSD till 1 TB HD?

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:58 pm

We don't use grub, as u-boot is the supported method for the board. This does not require an on-disk, but make sure your partition order and content matches.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kbaggen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi there,
I ended up just connected the SSD and the new HD to my computer, and though RescurelinuxCD USB stick, I though Gparted did the following:
1. removed everyhting on new HD
2. made a 16mb and label it "boot" ext2 parathion
3. copied the old SSD boot section over on the NEW HD "boot" though gparted (just copy and parst)
4. did the same with "rootfs" of 55GB (not sure I even created a new parathion for this one on the new HD before during it).
5. tested it worked!
6. then made yet an ext4 parathion for the rest of the 1TB disk!
All worked and hence got 3 parathions on that disk + the 2TB slave + 1TB USB!
Klaus
kbaggen

Postby kbaggen » Thu May 04, 2017 7:58 am

Just one more thing I later have discovered when coing though Dparted, and that is the HD parathions tabel must be MSDOS for this to Work........if it is the Linux tabel it do not Work!

But this gave me the issue in a 3 TB disk that one parathion was only 2,1GB, so had to make both "boot" and "Rootfs" and then the 2,1TB + one more of 700+ something GB.
kbaggen

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu May 04, 2017 11:18 am

You're speaking of an MBR table as "MS-DOS" and a GPT table as "Linux"

You're right here that you'll need an MBR record for the bootloader on the NSA-325. However, you can use a Hybrid. Google `GPT Hybrid MBR`
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to ARMv5