Problem with nsa320s

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv5 repo.

Problem with nsa320s

Postby v1ncent » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi guys
I have tried to install arch linux on my NSA320s with help of https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/zyxel-nsa320 . First time all went good i think because lights on front panel were flashing. I left home and after i get back all lights are ON and nothing is happening. I can`t see NSA on local network.
Any ideas how to fix that ?

Thank You for Your help.
v1ncent

Re: Problem with nsa320s

Postby summers » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:09 pm

Two ways:

Easiest is to take out the disk you install on, mount it on another computer. Find out what you did wrong, and correct.

Less easily is to open it up, find where the pins are for the uart. http://zyxel.nas-central.org/ showed where mine were, but seems down right now.

I've done both, for different reasons, on my NSA325. Neither are to hard. With the disk, you need to find out what you did wrong. usually follow the instructions in $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'usb_key_func.sh.2') from http://de5.mirror.archlinuxarm.org/os/nsa3x0/nsa320-alarm.tar.gz and just do it again. You won't be able to redo the u-boot environment, but can redo all the disk stuff.

The second you can see what errors you have, so easier to correct. You have to do if you have really messed up the u-boot environment. Otherwise, after finding the fault, you'll probably still have to pull the disk.
summers

Postby v1ncent » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks for fast response. I removed hdd from nsa and put to my pc and this is what I get when trying start up.
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"
v1ncent

Postby TheSaint » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:05 am

I think you may work from an USB installation, whether there's a USB on the NAS and is bootable.
At that point you may fix the problems.
TheSaint

Postby summers » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:03 am

OOps - I meant plug it in as a secondary hard disk on your desk top. So boot your normal OS. Then mount the NSA hdd as a secondary drive.

Oh yes should have said, the commands in "usb_key_func.sh.2" are most easily run from a linux environment. So if you don't use linux on your desk top, it may be worth think about booting from a live CD or from a usb stick - it will make the commands easier ...

[TheSaint] Note that the stock u-boot on the Zyxel nsa devices is quite old, I don't think it does the distro support, so I don't think it automatically scans the USB. There may be a evn variable that can run to boot from usb or the net - but would need access to the uart to issue it. My NSA325 I had to almost totally disassemble to access the uart, it had pins already mounted on the board - but could only access the pins by taking the whole PCB out of the case ...

I probably still have the NSA325 stock env variables at home - I should be able to check to see what booting modes apply. The NSA320 and NSA325 should be similar.

Actually checking the usb_key_func.sh.2 script you can see how its sets up the device to boot. It runs
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'setenv bootargs $(bootargs_linux);
ide reset;
ext2load ide 0:1 $(loadaddr) /uImage;
bootm $(loadaddr)')
So only boots from the HDD. It stock mode it boots from the flash ...
summers

Postby v1ncent » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:30 am

I`ll try that when i get back from work. have a good day guys
v1ncent

Postby v1ncent » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:12 pm

NSA is dead i have no access at all. i have ordered usb-ttl cable and ill try to do something but for now is there any option to get back to oryginal software ?
v1ncent

Postby TheSaint » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:56 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('v1ncent', '&')quot;Reboot and Select proper Boot device

Perhaps it isn't bootable by another computer. If it contains the u-boot the partition starts something around 8192 sectors away, which maybe the BIOS don't recognize.
I think you should connect with an USB adapter (or as second drive) and inspect it by your OS.
TheSaint

Postby summers » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:44 pm

Did you check the HDD?

It should have two paritions. the first ext2 formatted, the second ext4.

Partition 1 contains a uImage file in the top directory, that is used to boot.

Partition 2 contains the root file system.

If you've got that, and confirmed by unpacking a second time - then the NSA is likely to boot.

Now you can do this on a desk top computer - just not run any executable. Because all executables in the NSA disk are set up for ARMv5.

To set back to stock - if you check the usb_key_func.sh.2 file you'll see you can use the command (in uboot, so you need to do this via the 3.3V UART) $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'run to_stock')
summers

Postby v1ncent » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi guys
i have connect hdd to another linux pc and disc is empty. (only one partition) i got my cable and when i`m connecting ubuntu to nsa320s via usb ttl im getting only this:
tio /dev/ttyUSB0
[tio 12:49:24] tio v1.29
[tio 12:49:24] Press ctrl-t q to quit
[tio 12:49:24] Connected
any idea what to do next ?

i got to stage
sudo kwboot -t -B 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0 -b uboot.2017.07-tld-1.nsa320.mtd0.kwb -p
Sending boot message. Please reboot the target.../
but that is all
Regards
v1
v1ncent