NSA325 after kirkwood-dt update, ssh authentication error

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv5 repo.

Re: NSA325 after kirkwood-dt update, ssh authentication erro

Postby summers » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:58 am

Did you install the rescue system to flash?

If you didn't, the original OS is still on the flash. The first chance to uboot env, gave a back_to_stock command to change back to stock.

Now you say you have flashed the modern uboot, but be examining the original back_to_stock and you'll see how it works, and should be able to do the same on your modern uboot.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'bootcmd_stock 'setenv bootargs $(bootargs_stock); nand read.e $(loadaddr) $(kernel_addr) 0xA00000; bootm $(loadadr)'
bootargs_stock 'console=ttyS0,115200 mtdparts=nand_mtd:0x100000(uboot),0x80000(uboot_env),0x80000(key_store),0x80000(info),0xA00000(etc),0xA00000(kern
el_1),0x2FC0000(rootfs1),0xA00000(kernel_2),0x2FC0000(rootfs2) root=/dev/nfs rw init=/init'
')

But first you need to access uboot - and as it sounds like you can't access arch, that will have to be direct across the serial interface. On the NSA325 this is fairly easy, when you open the box, there is a 3.3V UART with pin header already mounted. So with a cable like FTDI RPi you can access uboot, and try the commands.

If you did flash the rescue system, I *think* I have a copy of my original flash I can send. This said I have never tried it, only took a copy years ago, and never checked.
summers

Postby divize » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi,
I am quite certain that I have flashed 0x100000(uboot) and 0x80000(uboot_env) via the serial...
Unfortunately I haven't made a backup in the first place, because I was "never going to go back to stock".
Hmm, never say never.
I am the next days on the road for a business trip, but if you can provide your old backups, it would be highly appreciated..
Cheers
divize

Postby moonman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:15 pm

You don't need to go back to stock to start fresh. If you have the rescue system in nand, then just boot into that and format the hdd clean, and extract the nsa325 tarball to it, then "arch-chroot" and "pacman -S linux-kirkwood-dt". Pacstrap might work as well, but it might be a little outdated now.

You can also do the above with any other linux PC.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby divize » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:36 pm

That is actually what I have tried more than 3 times. Always with the same result:
The kirkwood kernel from the biggining of the year worked just fine. The update to kirkwood-dt kills somehow the authentication.

I perhaps should have better called the thread: after kirkwood-dt installation - authentication error. Neither with serial nor via ssh can I login.

I have somehow given up and installed debian. But my friend would like to buy it with stock rom.
So, here we are again. Where to get that stock uboot and the Zyxel firmware?
divize

Previous

Return to ARMv5