[Solved]Seagate GoFlex Failed after installing the ArchLinux

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv5 repo.

Re: Seagate GoFlex Failed after installing the ArchLinux

Postby summers » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:17 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'b')oot scripts can be enabled on 2016 version as well, but I'm pretty sure it isn't enabled on either our or bodhi's U-Boot. I know I didn't enable it on ALARM U-Boot specifically, but I would have to check as it may have been enabled by default (unlikely).

1. AFAIK there are no patches from bodhi, besides the config. I know ALARM U-Boot does not use any bodhi's patches, if he added something himself to his U-Boot version. It's mostly mainline U-Boot + different config. NSA325 reboot bug was fixed with the help of our forum member.

I see no benefit in boot.scr for kirkwoods, as current system works well for most, but few corner cases. You are free to submit a pull request though, to make it happen, and if it's up to the standards I will accept it :)
https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... t-kirkwood

Yes I can confirm that neither arch arm not bodhi kirkwood uboot have distro enabled, yes it was in the code then, but in those time fames most machines didn't use distro - can't remember when it took off, but was a year or two later.

I think the advantage I see, is just that kirkwood uboot configuration is currently different than most of the arch arm targets - and that makes maintenance a hassle - it means any question on kirkwood, need to remember to write code the uEnv.txt style.

If I've understood you correctly, only changes to uboot were adding (for NSA325):

u-boot/configs/nsa325_defcon
u-boot/include/configs/nsa325.h
u-boot/board/zyxel/*

If thats all, I'd probably look about both arch arm and bohdi code, and look at mainlining it. Yes its more hassle that way, but means its back in mainline again. Anyway really down to me getting the time - something thats in short supply.
summers

Re: [Solved]Seagate GoFlex Failed after installing the ArchL

Postby moonman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:47 pm

I guess I had forgotten what really went into making this work.

You can see changes by going through branches, starting with this https://github.com/moonman/u-boot/commits/2014.04
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby summers » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:43 am

Ok have started looking into mainlining kirkwood uboot.

uboot has moved on a lot since I lasted looked, its now far more driver based, and device tree. This make sense, as means more code can more easily be copied direct from linux. Hassle is doesn't look like *any* mainline kirkwood has been totally migrated to device tree approach, so its a case of setting up all the code for that first.

Now it will have an advantage for kirkwood uboot, I think there is a good chance we can do a generic kirkwood uboot, that is good for all targets. It will just need the right device tree and kwb file added.

Anyway this is enough development, not easily done on my kirkwood device (nsa325 - as root is IIRC is only 2GB) so I'm doing development on my pocket beagle (arm v7). IIRC you cross compile all arm v5 v6 and v7 on an arm v7 device. How do you do the cross compile? As would be good for me to do the same approach.
summers

Postby moonman » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:51 pm

It's not really cross-compiled. Armv7 can run code from all earlier versions just like AMD64 CPUs can run x86 code.
You can just set up chroot from armv5 rootfs tarball.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chroot
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-nspawn

arch-chroot is probably the easiest way to use chroot
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Previous

Return to ARMv5