help with pogoplug v2

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv5 repo.

help with pogoplug v2

Postby makana » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:24 am

I house a friends pogoplug that stopped working after he installed samba and rebooted it remotely. I have been trying to help get it back up so he can use it but it no longer boots into arch. I have tried installing arch from my linux laptop onto a couple usb sticks with ext2 and ext3 but neither worked. I finally got my hands on a serial connection the other day and discovered that what is going on is a kernal panic, unable to sync VFS, unknown block (0,0).

When I boot without a flash drive it boots but fails dhcp. It actually sends the ack and recieves the reply but then fails. The error is udhcpc/default.script script not found. If I manually set an ip I can ping it.

So where do I go from here? Should I be tring to re-load uboot? Should I try a rescue usb drive?
makana

Re: help with pogoplug v2

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:30 am

1) If it manages to boot at all, then reloading uboot is about as effective (and pointless) as changing the clutch pedal on and automatic car.
2) maybe stop using udhcpc and get regular dhcp working since udhcp seems to not like operating?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby makana » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:27 pm

udhcpc is what the stock os is trying to use when the pogo boots with no flash drive in it. How do I tell the regular OS not to use udhcpc?
makana

Postby Socaltom » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Have you tried booting it with no drive attached?

If it boots to the pogoplug prompt, then this issue is probably the usb drive you are using.

your best bet is to reinstall the filesystem from the install instructions directly

Also, I have found USB sticks to be unreliable. Some don't boot, some boot for a while and then stop.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby makana » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:35 pm

I have tried with two different usb drives that both used to work. The pogoplug boots without the drive plugged in but dhcp fails so I can't install from the pogoplug. I have tried several times to install the os to the drive with my linux machine but I always end up with the kernal panic.

I either need to find a way to get an OS onto a drive that will boot or a way to get networking up and running on the pogoplug without a drive plugged in.
makana

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Did you change your router recently, by any chance? Or the network cable?
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby makana » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:36 pm

no changes to any of that. Is it a possible compatability issue with uboot and the newer kernals?
makana

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:24 pm

The Stock OS is what I am looking at.

You can upgrade the uboot if you really think that is the problem, if it is somehow way out of date.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby makana » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:48 am

ok, so if it is not likely to be the uboot then what should be my next step? I don't have a working network connection to download any packages and the stock OS doesn't have a working dhcp client. I tried manually setting some of the static IP info but was unable to get DNS working.
makana

Postby pepedog » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:54 am

Getting DNS working would have been easy in arch
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Resolv.conf#Use_resolv.conf.head
pepedog
Developer

Next

Return to ARMv5