GoFlex NET - Why install ARM?

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv5 repo.

GoFlex NET - Why install ARM?

Postby sissycockmilker » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:57 am

Hi All,

I hope I do not step on any toes with my questions/query(s). I have ordered my GoFlex NET and should receive it shortly.
While waiting in anticipation for the unit. I have been doing some R&D.
Found that I could
1) [url=archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/seagate-goflex-net]install linux ARM
or
2) Use a .ceid file and bypass pogpplug software and just access my files on my network
[url=http://www.mydigitallife.info/use-seagate-dockstar-or-goflex-net-as-nas-on-lan-without-pogoplug-internet-service/]
or
3) Install debian on it [url=http://projects.doozan.com/debian/].

My requirement is this, I want to store all my movies on the HDD's. (I don't want to use transmission to download stuff to the HDD's) or use it as an SQL server. Maximum, maybe run plex media server on it (my movies do not require transcoding) and maybe PlexConnect for my AppleTV2.

I am currently using an old laptop running linux mint to run plex media server and download stuff. I am considering continuing using it and to just have the GoFlex NET to store files in #2.

The only drawback of using #2 is that all my files will be accessible over my network to all users.
So my question really is this, if I install linux ARM can I
1) Keep the same NTFS format of my drives? or will I have to use another format?
2) Be able to allow access to only one Windows based laptop and another linux mint old laptop, I mentioned earlier
3) Would I be able to mount the GoFlex NET in the linux mint laptop at startup using authentication(user/pass) as mentioned in #2 using some code like this
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
sudo apt-get install smbfs
sudo mount -t smbfs -o user=username,pass=password //192.168.x.x/share /folder/to/mount/to
')

Or should I just stick to the #2 method of editing the .ceid file instead of the drama of maybe bricking my unit and configuring LED's to work and a lot of other stuff.
I like tinkering around but in the end I just want it to work without having to take a look at it again, or maybe look at it in a year or so...

Cheers,
Jade.
sissycockmilker

Re: GoFlex NET - Why install ARM?

Postby moonman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 am

1. Yes, you can, but NTFS may be slower. There is a thread on tuning NTFS performance
2. You can setup username/pass in samba or if you want more complicated - setup active directory and domain on your network. It is samba4
3. Automount can be setup in different ways in linux. Use fstab as a simple solution.

You do need to update the box, say, once a week to avoid problems with updates later on. Plex is in the repos. With arch you get all the latest versions compared to debian. But in the end it is up to you what you want to do with your device.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: GoFlex NET - Why install ARM?

Postby sissycockmilker » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:32 am

Thank you moonman (like your nic btw ;)), I guess this is where, today, there is a gap between a user and a developer.

Since I am cheap(can't afford a souped up NAS), will do the required R&D ;)

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Regards,
Jade.
sissycockmilker

Return to ARMv5