Lost SSH on Pogoplug V4

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv5 repo.

Re: Lost SSH on Pogoplug V4

Postby Socaltom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:10 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('DonMegel', 'I') had already wiped the stick so I am not sure. I tried putting the other Kirkwood image onto an 8 gig flash drive but the Pogoplug just blinked green for a while before turning red and starting over. I suppose I'll go back to the first Kirkwood image and try it with the larger flash drive.

This is quite frustrating. I grew up with Windows (95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8) and learning Linux is like learning to walk again with different legs. I know the power of linux and I want to learn, its just very VERY frustrating.

I hear you,
Most of these installs go perfect, but there are a lot of uncontrolled things that can cause problems. Some USB thumb drives just won't work. Usually a spinning hard drive is the most reliable, but there are a few that use some sort of strange drive mapping that can screw things up.
I read the instructions for the V4, and it does say its common for the connection to be refused initially, but that after a few minutes is should let you in. I think a 2GB drive is really the minimum to get it to work, but like I said, some thumb drives just don't work.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby DonMegel » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:33 am

I am at my wits end. I tried both kirkwood files on a 8 gig verbatim and a 16 gig sandisk without any luck. I tried going back to the 1 gig but that doesn't work anymore either.

Use ext4 right?
DonMegel

Postby Socaltom » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:48 am

The boot partition should be ext3 per the instructions.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby DonMegel » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:51 am

The instructions say ext4
DonMegel

Postby DonMegel » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:18 pm

Tried again with a 2 gig sandisk using ext3. No good. I think I have killed it.
DonMegel

Postby bodhi » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:08 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('DonMegel', 'T')ried again with a 2 gig sandisk using ext3. No good. I think I have killed it.

Don,

You have not killed it. Just find an Ext3 rootfs that you can boot with. Since you don't have serial console (based on your posts), you need to observe the LED light:

- If the LED light is solid green, then the problem is with the USB rootfs or bootargs. Most likely rootfs on USB.
- if the LED light is red or flashing red and restart, then the kernel on the USB (i.e. /boot/uImage) is not good

In both case, you need to recreate rootfs on your USB drive. Make sure that it is formatted as Ext3.

If Arch rootfs does not work for you, then find Debian USB rootfs that does (search doozan.com). And then once you can boot in to any rootfs, mount the Arch stick and examine possible problems with it. Most likely you had misstep, such as not creating the rootfs as root user, ...
bodhi

Postby DonMegel » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:48 pm

Rootfs? I didn't see that part in the archlinux instruction sheet.

It blinks green for a while, then blinks red while it accesses the flash drive, then restarts and blinks green.
DonMegel

Postby DonMegel » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:39 pm

Should I put uboot on the flash drive too?
DonMegel

Postby DonMegel » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:37 am

It turns out I was having trouble with partitions. Once I got the partition table worked out everything went fine
DonMegel

Postby bodhi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:49 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('DonMegel', 'R')ootfs? I didn't see that part in the archlinux instruction sheet.

It blinks green for a while, then blinks red while it accesses the flash drive, then restarts and blinks green.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('DonMegel', 'I')t turns out I was having trouble with partitions. Once I got the partition table worked out everything went fine

Rootfs creation is part of the installation. And yes, that partition problem caused u-boot failure to find the kernel in the /boot directory so it restarted (blinking red, restart, blinking green).

-bodhi
bodhi

PreviousNext

Return to ARMv5