pacman hand install

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv5 repo.

pacman hand install

Postby joe0099 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:09 pm

My pacman broke about a year ago. While attempting to fix it I accidentally deleted the pacman binary and pacman.conf. I have probably spent 30+ hours trying to fix it in my spare time to no avail.

I have Archlinux on a Seagate GoFlex Home and uname -m results in arm5vtel.

Please help me find and install the correct packages.
joe0099

Re: pacman hand install

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:40 pm

Boot a fresh installed flash stick.

and use pacman from that fresh install, against the original via the appropriate options, present in the manual.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby joe0099 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:45 pm

my Seagate GoFlex does have one USB port, but I have problems with installing to a flash drive according to the instructions on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... _a_USB_key

1: I do not have Pacman to download the install scripts
2: I do not have a cd drive on the Seagate GoFlex home
3: My other computers do not run armv5tel

Unfortunately, I do not have the expertise to execute the thumb drive idea myself for the reasons listed above. If there is any other way to reinstall Pacman, or the thumbdrive idea is easier than I think, please explain.
joe0099

Postby moonman » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:24 am

2 Options:
1. Complete reinstall following either this or in my signature ( wGet the kirkwood rootfs instead)

2. Download packages separately and untar them manually. All packages have the right directory hiearatchy. To do this, get the packages from http://mirror.archlinuxarm.org/arm/ and make sure you have all the right versions for dependencies specified here: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/pacman/ . If , lets say, libarchive is too old on your system then follow the same precedure for this package too (download package, unarchive etc...)
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby joe0099 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:29 am

I have completed the file transfer for the newest version of pacman, but when I run a pacman -Syu I get

pacman: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libalpm.so.9: file too short

I can not find a libalpm.so.9 that I can use, because I do not have the developer kit. please help
joe0099

Postby joe0099 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:13 am

update:

I found that I could download package-query-1.5, and use a configure script that came with it, but the output was that a working pacman was needed to compile. I have yet to find the proper libalpm.so.9. please help
joe0099

Postby joe0099 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:28 am

so,
I found /usr/lib/libalpm.so.9.0.0 and I made /usr/lib/libalpm.so.9.bak then I copied /usr/lib/libalpm.so.9.0.0 to /usr/lib/libalpm.so.9

ran pacman -Syu

next libarchive.so.13 was no good, so I hand installed libarchive-3.1.2-8-arm.pkg by hand

ran pacman -Syu

next /usr/lib/libarchive.so.13 was too small so I made /usr/lib/libarchive.so.13.bak and copied /usr/lib/libarchive.so.13.1.2 to /usr/lib/libalpm.so.13 and it worked

ran pacman -Syu

next:
pacman: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by pacman)
pacman: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.16' not found (required by /usr/lib/libarchive.so.13)

I noticed that /lib/libc.so.6 was linked to /lib/libc-2.15.so, but I thought I could just download a libc.so.6 that was current somewhere. I downloaded glibc-2.20-6-arm.pkg.tar.xz and unpacked it. I found libc.so.6 in glibc-2.20-6-arm.pkg/usr/lib/... I copied /lib/libc.so.6 /lib/libc.so.6.bak, then moved the new file to /lib and it nearly broke my system. I had to use winscp commands to restore it.

I tried to upgrade /lib/libc-2.15.so next and link to the newer version. I downloaded glibc-2.21-1.1.armv6hl and tried libc-2.20.so. It would not link so I changed libc-2.20.so to libc.so.6 just to give it a try and it failed. Here is the error message:

pacman: relocation error: /lib/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_find_dso_for_object, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.3 with link time reference

Now I am very stuck again. I am back to not even being able to hand install a solution. I need to know how to come up with the correct libc.so.6 to make my system work. Please help
joe0099

Postby moonman » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:40 am

Why not just reinstall? You are starting to replace core syatem components libraries and likely will brake the whole thing anyway. Safe all your configuration files and reinstall already.

With pacman you could just pick an older version from rollback.archlinuxarm.org and update with that.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to ARMv5