Seagate goflex net - What musicserver for internet stream?

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv5 repo.

Seagate goflex net - What musicserver for internet stream?

Postby kbaggen » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:39 am

Hi there,
got Seagate goflex net up and running with Alarm (thanks for this software), installed Samba and am now looking for a music server there can (transcode and) stream my FLAC music files when I am outside house (hence outside local LAN).

Tried Plex, and can get it to play mp3, but my FLAC files seems to not play trough the web app?

SO is there an other program I can use and install or is this little box only strong for mp3 and FALC to much? Or do Plex not support FLAC (the later I seem to understand it should support though websearch)!

Klaus
kbaggen

Re: Seagate goflex net - What musicserver for internet strea

Postby kbaggen » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:35 pm

Been playing around a bit and hence also installed the pogoplug media server agian along Arch Linux arm, and it seems neither this one nor Plex can transcode FLAC :-(

It turns out when you read deep around that Pleax do not support transcode (yet) on Arch Linux (Arm).

So just to answer my own question :-)
kbaggen

Postby kbaggen » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:52 am

Seems subsonic and Shine-fixed encoder can trandscode flac on the fly on Goflex net hardware with 4x real time conversions according to this article http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/?catid=0&id=243 and http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Shine_for_transcodingif anyone can help ikn setting this up under arclinux arm i would be glad :-)
kbaggen

Postby grayman4hire » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:50 am

Good question.

Yeah, Plex doesn't transcode on kirkwood devices. Plex does transcode audio on the Pi2 however though since it uses the drobo binaries - https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articl ... ility-List

I'm not aware of a solution except to have a mp3 and a flac music library which isn't a great solution.
grayman4hire

Postby kbaggen » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:49 am

Grayman....tanks for you blog amd guide.....Got me this far :D

Anyone knows how to force dirctplay of FLAC in plex so plex do not try to transcode FLAC files?
kbaggen

Postby kbaggen » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:43 pm

Trying to install subsonic though this guide http://dominicm.com/install-subsonic-on-arch-linux/ meaning by using "packer"!

In the PKGbuild I set arch=(´arm´), but just I get the following error:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[root@alarm /]# packer -S subsonic

Aur Targets (1): subsonic

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
Edit subsonic PKGBUILD with $EDITOR? [Y/n] y
Edit subsonic.install with $EDITOR? [Y/n] n
makepkg: invalid option '--asroot'
The build failed.
')

Anyone knows what to do or knows how to build Subsonic these days?
kbaggen

Postby grayman4hire » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:25 pm

The asroot option has been removed. You'll need to create a new user with sudo rights and use that user to build.
grayman4hire

Postby kbaggen » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:33 pm

THanks for the hint. Got Madsonic (a free version of Subsonic) up and running........not completly sure how :-)

Not fast even with Orcle Java 7 version 75!
kbaggen

Postby kbaggen » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:09 am

Just a feedback in regards of my experiance in this matter!

OF the music servers I have tested wich includes Pogoplug, Plex and Subsonic the only one there really make sence is Plex.

Pogoplug, you need to go over Pogoplug servers wich in itself is just pure slow, and also hold the issue of someone having acces to your trafic/files!

Subsonic, even with Jave from Orcle it is very slow.......the webpges take forever even on local LAN, but at teh time a webpage is rended the music plays fine.

Plex, works very smooth, but be aware you need to let the program install over a night as it takes very long time for it to "cool down"....the install apprently takes a lot of toll on CPU hence the long time. Secondly, the same can be said on adding big music collections......agian let it run over the night. IF doring so then Plex seems very smooth on the Seagate goflex net.

LAstly, I gave Subsonic and the FLAC trandscoding though Shine-encoder a good try, but I did not succed......so until the Plex people might set something up those lines letting us trandscode music on the arm, I would say just stay to you mp3 collection for now!
kbaggen

Return to ARMv5