GOFLEX Install with ARCH - no access

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv5 repo.

GOFLEX Install with ARCH - no access

Postby schafferm » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:15 pm

Hi.

So I'd consider myself a fairly seasoned linux user, having rolled my own server boxes for linux and thought it would be fun to try and use my 2TB GOFLEX Home for owncloud - is it was just sitting around before my inspiration. I found this page: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5 ... oflex-home and went to the Installation tab - I followed the steps up to the reboot spot and as you all are aware (I'm sure as you smack your head), I now have a box that boots, but has no SSH access. (So much for following the instructions!)

I'm guessing UBOOT is installed but I can't access it based on the instructions I used. It would seem after some googling that I should have followed these instructions: http://techgotcha.com/your-own-cloud-on ... tallation/ and updated uboot with the MAC address/IP prior to rebooting?

I don't have a serial cable and I can't reset with the old flash from Seagate as now UBOOT is installed. I tried the rescue USB and it seems to boot from that, but what next? What's the step to see what UBOOT is showing? Should I be placing an ethernet cable between the GOFLEX and a Linux box and running NC? If so, how do I start NC on the goflex box or will the rescue USB already do this?

This was the last thing I saw before I rebooted:

bash-3.2# ./goflexhome.sh

Downloading flash utilities..
blparam [OK]
flash_erase [OK]
fw_printenv [OK]
nanddump [OK]
nandwrite [OK]

Downloading U-Boot and environment..
uboot-goflexhome.kwb [OK]
uboot-goflexhome.env [OK]

Installing..
saving MAC address [00:10:75:XX:XX:XX]
erasing U-Boot NAND [OK]
erasing environment [OK]
writing U-Boot [OK]
writing environment [OK]

Validating..
Block size 131072, page size 2048, OOB size 64
Dumping data starting at 0x00000000 and ending at 0x00080000...
Block size 131072, page size 2048, OOB size 64
Dumping data starting at 0x000c0000 and ending at 0x000e0000...

checking U-Boot [OK]
checking environment [OK]
setting MAC [OK]

U-Boot has been installed successfully.

Any help is appreciated!
schafferm

Re: GOFLEX Install with ARCH - no access

Postby schafferm » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:53 pm

Hi - Anyone have any suggestions? Please help!
schafferm

Postby hecatae » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:09 am

advanced tab at on original installation page, please do not follow instructions from 2012

http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5 ... oflex-home

click advanced:

and follow the netconsole instructions, though if you can boot via rescue usb, I would look at a re-install
hecatae

Postby schafferm » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:03 pm

Hecatae
The advanced tab, are those commands I should issue from my remote machine?

Regarding the rescue USB - just create a ArchLinux USB or is there a specific site for creating a rescue USB for goflex?

though if you can boot via rescue usb, I would look at a re-install
schafferm

Postby wobble » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:49 pm

How do you know that it boots if you don't have ssh access? Does it show up in the dhcp logs?

The logs you posted include $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'setting MAC [OK]') so I think the MAC address should be set...

And yes, you have to enter the commands for capturing netconsole output on your desktop machine.
wobble

Postby hecatae » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:35 pm

@schafferm, yes from a another machine on the lan,

if you run a wireshark do you see any requests over the network from your GFH?

I use this to create a rescue usb for my GFH and GFN, see http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/zyxel-nsa325 installation page
hecatae

Postby summers » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:36 am

If you can boot the rescue system does it contain fw_printenv and fw_setenv ? There are uboot applications that access the uboot environment partition. So you can use it to set the ethernet card mac address, and root partition id.

Alas though I don't use the rescue system myself, so don't know what applications it has ....
summers

Return to ARMv5