[SOLVED + pic of RPi security cam] ssh only over ethernet

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv6h repo.

[SOLVED + pic of RPi security cam] ssh only over ethernet

Postby jbodhorn » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:16 am

I'm trying to setup a wireless security camera using motion/motioneye on a RPi B+. I've been setting everything up over ethernet via ssh till today when I tried to switch to wireless. The wifi dongle works with the RPi it came in a starter kit, it's a Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter. I've used this dongle on my odroid-xu4 running Arch Arm, so this dongle has been used with Arch Arm before. The wireless adapter connects, I've connected using systemd-networkd/resloved and also I tried disabling them and using netctl/wifi-menu. With both systemd-networkd/resolved and netctl I get an ip, I can ping google, and I can run updates, but I cannot get ssh access.

I have the pi hooked up to a tv and keyboard incase I break something while working on the setup and so I can mess around with configs while offline or unable to ssh. I double checked my sshd_config to make sure I wasn't bound to one interface or something silly like that, but I don't see anything in my config that would stop me from connecting through ssh on wifi

9/22/2016-EDIT:
I reinstalled netctl and wpa_supplicant, made two profiles, one wifi, one ethernet. I disabled systemd-networkd/resolved, enabled my two netctl profiles and rebooted. Everything looked good so I disabled the ethernet profile and rebooted, everything was working.

Here's a pic of my completely wireless RPi security camera in action, running. ATM it's powered off a powerbank with a solar panel to charge the powerbank:

http://postimg.org/image/xyhof09sb/

I still have one more major item to address and probably need to upgrade my powerbank, small issues I hope... I've never ran anything with an encrypted root, which is my final step before putting this camera in use. I don't want someone grabbing my camera and getting my network password and access to my samba server where all the camera recordings are saved to...
Last edited by jbodhorn on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jbodhorn

Re: RPi B+ ssh only working over ethernet

Postby jbodhorn » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:27 pm

We have two networks at home, I've tried connecting to both via wifi, same issue... I have iptables installed but it is disabled as I haven't gotten around to setting it up yet, so I don't know of anything I've installed that would make me unable to ssh over wifi, especially since I can ssh over ethernet. I've also checked the firewall on my router and there is nothing there blocking me from connecting to ssh over wifi
jbodhorn

Return to ARMv6h