Setup RPi0 boot up wifi from chroot

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv6h repo.

Setup RPi0 boot up wifi from chroot

Postby zurek » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:48 pm

It is my first post here so I am pleased to say hello to all of you.

I purchased recently Raspberr Pi Zero and I have problems with setup. I went through faq and installation guide however it assumes that you have eth connection and you can connect with ssh.

I have: RPi0 and wifi dongle, installed Arch linux system on SD, I can chroot into the SD card.
I would like to: setup wifi so it start automaticly on boot up so I can connect to it with SSH.

Is it possible to setup wifi on chroot? If it's not, then how can I setup my Raspberry?
zurek

Re: Setup RPi0 boot up wifi from chroot

Postby zurek » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:42 pm

bump!
zurek

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:43 pm

This depends on how you want to configure your wifi.

If you use net-ctl, you can configure a profile on any other system, and transpose it to the RPi filesystem with some minor edits for the adapter name.

If you use systemd-networkd + wpa_supplicant@wlxxx, you can use wpa_passphrase to generate the blob to add into /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlxxx.conf. This `wlxxx` is based on the adapter name. You then enable the wpa_supplicant@wlxxx.service (symlink), and add a `.network` file for the wireless adapter as you would any ethernet for IP configuration. systemd-networkd is enabled OOBE on ALARM.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby summers » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:28 pm

An alternative, is if you have a connection through to the UART (which I guess must be on a RPi Zero, but maybe on the holes where pins aren't mounted), then you could connect via the serial interface. You would need something like the FDTI RPi cable though ....
summers

Return to ARMv6h