SSH Permission Denied

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv6h repo.

Re: SSH Permission Denied

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:01 am

Just pointing out, the first `ssh -vv` output showed you hit a dropbear server, not openssh on ALARM (remote software version dropbear_2012.55)

You should be able to log in as the user `alarm` with a password (see installation instructions), and then setup root with a key. Allowing root login with a password is a bit more complex.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby CD1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:42 pm

I think I have found why I can't log in via SSH. And it appears to have nothing to do with SSH SSL or authentication :roll:

You will have to bear with me here, I am very much an Arch Linux beginner (ARM or otherwise), but it looks like I've done something wrong when trying to configure DHCP. I have found some people talking about systemd-networkd and some people talking about dhcpcd for managing DHCP, I assume that means there are two systems that do the similar jobs and you can use one or the other. Is that correct and if so, which is the preferred option?

Either way on my system I was attempting to use systemd-networkd, and I thought it was working. I was given an IP address, I had network connectivity, I could dowload packages, could ping other devices on the network and could SSH out to other devices. Seemed fine, but no SSH in to the machine as I described earlier.

Now, while mucking around with a clean Arch image I tried using dhcpcd as per the Arch Wireless Configuration page. If I leave systemd-networkd alone and instead do 'systemctl enable dhcpcd@wlan0' I also get given an IP address and this time I can SSH into the machine and everything works as expected.

Where did I go wrong?
CD1

Postby CD1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:00 am

So after several days of stuffing around I still have not isolated the problem. I think its a local network issue, but it comes and goes. I have one device which I now can remote into, and a different one which is now in that weird state where it has an internet connection but the SSH connection is refused.
CD1

Postby pepedog » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:01 am

Sure I read wpa_supplicant method stops this problem
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant
pepedog
Developer

Postby CD1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:22 pm

Thanks so much for all your help guys, it turned out to be a badly configured DHCP server (not my responsibility I might add) issuing the same IP address to multiple devices.

WarheadsSE was on to it when he spotted that it was a Dropbear server responding not the OpenSSH I was expecting.

On the plus side I now feel much more confident using systemd-networkd on my Arch Linux Arm system :)
CD1

Previous

Return to ARMv6h