Wifi on the Zero W

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv6h repo.

Wifi on the Zero W

Postby kakistocracy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:49 am

Hello Everyone!
Im trying to get the zero w wifi configured before i plug in the sd card so it runs on startup and i avoid paying for the cables to get it configured.
im following this thread viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11529

im running the script and getting the error that "wpa_passphrase command not found".

if anyone else could recommend a way for me to accomplish this task that would be awesome.
Cheers!
kakistocracy

Re: Wifi on the Zero W

Postby andre » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Looks like some packages are missing. Install the "wpa_supplicant" package.
andre

Re: Wifi on the Zero W

Postby methermeneus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:22 am

I know I'm a little late to the party, but on the off-chance you're still having problems (or anyone else is having similar problems and this comes up on Google)...

Since you said you're trying to install on the SD card before you start the pi, installing the "wpa_supplicant" package isn't necessarily as easy as Andre makes it sound.

On Linux of any kind, it's still not too bad, though: mount the SD card and chroot into it. It should be able to use your computer's internet connection automatically (since it is on your computer), and you'll be executing commands as a user on the pi's install, so you can, again, just pacman -S wpa_supplicant. The script you used mounts the filesystem, so if you don't know how to go about that, just look through the script for how it uses the 'mount' command, but you'll have to look up chroot separately. (man chroot is a stub, at least on my old Mint box, so you'll want to check out info coreutils 'chroot invocation'

I'm not familiar enough with Arch yet to be certain, but I think it's even easier if you already have Arch on the system you're using to set up the pi SD card. It seems like the -r switch or --root option for pacman is what you need: It installs the package to a different directory. The default is /root, but I imagine that in this case you'd choose wherever you mounted the SD card. Apparently, this is actually the purpose of -r, since it's recommended that you let pacman decide where to put things on your own system.

If you're ever on a Windows machine, I'm not sure what you should do. Maybe install vmware or virtualbox, mount the SD card as a virtual machine, configure the VM to tunnel to your main computer's internet, and then pacman -S wpa_supplicant? That's just off the top of my head; there may be a better way. I hope there's a better way.

It's Windows; we all know there isn't a better way. That's why we use Linux.

'Μεθερμήνευς || Methermeneus'
methermeneus

Return to ARMv6h