PANIC: No working init found. Try passing init= ....

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv6h repo.

PANIC: No working init found. Try passing init= ....

Postby BigMan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:24 am

Hello together,
after many years of a good service, finally my Raspberry Pi1 with archlinux|Arm fails to boot.
Unfortunately, on the SD Card are still quite a bunch of files, which I would like to "recover" (yes, stupid I am ... not made on time an appropriate backup ...)

So the master question: what is the fasted way to get access to the files on the SD card.
I already put the SD-Card in an USB card-reader and plugged it into my archlinux Desktop. But it will not pop-up in Nautilus nor is it listed when I try "ls /dev/sd*".

I would be very grateful for any hints.

P.S.: attached a picture which shows the error messages
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xtsgQSStPPTX1tbu5
BigMan

Re: PANIC: No working init found. Try passing init= ....

Postby sehraf » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:11 pm

Since it is not recognizes by the desktop, my guess would be that it is beyond repair. This is basically why i trashed by RP1 rather quickly, it was eating though SD cards...

Do you get any response from the desktop system when you plug it in? dmesg is your friend here. When the sd card is still recognized as a storage device (and maybe just the partition is broken) you can use dd (or ddrescue when dd fails / sectors are bad) to save as much data as possible (copy it into an sd card image). Broken partitions can be fixed, broken file systems can (mostly?) be recovered but the sd card needs to work atfer all.

Good luck!
sehraf

Return to ARMv6h