Problem starting window manager through ssh

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv6h repo.

Problem starting window manager through ssh

Postby InfiniteSnow » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:40 am

I am trying to install a window manager on my Raspberry PI running on Arch Linux from my Macbook with OSX 10.9 and Xquartz.

I am using a SSH connection started with ssh -Y pi@pi

Running xeyes works like a charm - the eyes appear on my screen in their own window.

I tried to install i3 and ratpoison.

Running i3-config-wizard works and exits, but creates a broken config - running i3 seems to work (it shows the error message, mouse clicks work: when clicking on "edit configuration" a urxvt terminal opens with nano).

Fixing the configuration file results in this error:

ERROR: Another window manager seems to be running (X error 10)

Typing ratpoison returns:

ratpoison: There can be only ONE.

When started with exec i3 / exec ratpoison, they still complain with the same thing AND crash the SSH session.

When started with startx with their .xinitrc set as exec i3 / exec ratpoison, they seem to start correctly, but nothing is displayed on my mac.

I tried to run them through xnest with /usr/X11/bin/Xnest -geometry 1280x900 :1 & DISPLAY=:1 ssh -Y pi@pi i3. In this case, for i3, the configuration wizard appears, but keystrokes don't work. With the broken config file, only the borders of the error message are displayed, and input doesn't work. Fixing the config file results in black screen on the Xnest window. Ratpoison always returns a black screen with this method.

I can't figure this out. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.
InfiniteSnow

Re: Problem starting window manager through ssh

Postby InfiniteSnow » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:14 pm

If I got it correctly, X forwarding works only for single applications, and not entire window managers. So, Xnest is the way to go. I had to run Xnest with Xnest :1 & on my Macbook, set the environment DISPLAY variable to :1, and then everything worked, exept i3 which is not showing text.
InfiniteSnow

Return to ARMv6h