[SOLVED] xwiimote is very wonky

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv6h repo.

[SOLVED] xwiimote is very wonky

Postby Cadeyrn » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:46 pm

I'm trying to use a Wii-mote with Motion Plus as a mouse on my Raspberry Pi. I've installed X and Openbox, and tried it on both, and I'm getting a weird issue.

So, first off: I'm using the exact same 60-xwiimote.conf file I typed up that works perfectly on my two Arch Linux computers--desktop and laptop. But on the Pi, it only kinda works. I can connect with bluetoothctl just fine, and xwiishow can see the mote, but when it's connected, I get no input at all. Moving it around and pressing the buttons does nothing, even if I set the Motion mode to something besides MotionPlus (like accelerometer or ir).

When I look at the Wii-mote through xwiishow (running as sudo or not), what I get is very strange. It spends most of the time only reading the accelerometer, and ocassionally switches back and forth between accelerometer data and MotionPlus data (never reading from both at once). It also doesn't know that I'm pressing buttons on the mote. A, B, 1, 2, whatever, it doesn't update the display with anything on that button map on the left. And, when it actually does manage to read from the MotionPlus on xwiishow, said data is still never affecting the mouse cursor. Again, exact same config that works fine on my other two computers.
Last edited by Cadeyrn on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadeyrn

Re: xwiimote is very wonky

Postby Socaltom » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:36 pm

How much CPU and or memory is used when you are using it? Have you run top while it was going?
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby Cadeyrn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:20 am

I just tried running top, and the CPU usage for xwiishow hovered around 40-50%, occasionally (like once every minute or more) jumping to 80%. Is that a lot?
Cadeyrn

Postby Socaltom » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:48 am

Next time you run top, also look at the load average in the upper right.

This page explains it. http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2009/ ... d-averages

Its a better indicator of whether the CPU is over taxed.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Socaltom

Postby Cadeyrn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:40 am

OK, so I think we've narrowed it down a lot now.

This time when I tested it, suddenly I realized it hasn't been wonky. It's been so laggy that I thought it was frozen! It IS getting data from all the right places, including buttons, but the lagtime is incredibly large and incredibly variable (anywhere from a second to 10 seconds).

Meanwhile, top reported those 3 numbers for the CPU average, and they were 0.70-0.80, 0.30-0.45, and 0.14-0.15. The third number didn't change, but when I'm NOT running xwiishow to look at all that data, the first two numbers are more like 0.10-0.25 and 0.20-0.25.

But here's the weird part: I just tested it AGAIN, and suddenly, there isn't that much of a lagtime. There's a bit of a stutter, but I can actually do stuff reasonably well.

Aaaand as soon as I started X, it's way too slow again. And then once I close X, it's reasonably fast again. Is my Pi just not powerful enough to handle a Wii-mote and graphics at the same time?
Cadeyrn

Postby Socaltom » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:39 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Cadeyrn', '
')
Aaaand as soon as I started X, it's way too slow again. And then once I close X, it's reasonably fast again. Is my Pi just not powerful enough to handle a Wii-mote and graphics at the same time?

Yes
used to be owned by me
Socaltom

Return to ARMv6h