distcc fails to compile

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv6h repo.

distcc fails to compile

Postby ViperScull » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:41 pm

I'm trying to compile in a Linux box running Arch Linux up to date. Raspberry Pi is up to date also. GCC is 5.2.0 in both.

I've followed the instructions in http://archlinuxarm.org/developers/dist ... -compiling, build the toolchains for armv6h and do the following configurations:

In master (RPi):

In /etc/makepkg.conf:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'MAKEFLAGS="-j4"
BUILDENV=(distcc color !ccache check !sign)
DISTCC_HOSTS="192.168.1.7" ###### IP of my Arch box ######
')

In client:

In /etc/conf.d/distccd

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'PATH=/media/extra-apps/x-tools6h-new/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf/bin:$PATH
DISTCC_ARGS="--user nobody --allow 192.168.1.0/24"')

symbolink links in x-tools6h-new/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf/bin have 777 mode.

When I try to compile domoticz from RPi with makepkg I obtain:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'E')RROR: compile /home/bary/download/domoticz-git/src/domoticz/lua/src/lbitlib.c on 192.168.1.7 failed
(dcc_build_somewhere) Warning: remote compilation of '/home/bary/download/domoticz-git/src/domoticz/lua/src/lbitlib.c' failed, retrying locally
(dcc_please_send_email_after_investigation) Warning: remote compilation of '/home/bary/download/domoticz-git/src/domoticz/lua/src/lcorolib.c' failed, retried locally and got a different result.

Locally it compiles fine.

in the client, systemctl status distccd.service gives:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'A')rch_Pc distccd[1183]: (dcc_readx) ERROR: unexpected eof on fd4
(dcc_r_token_int) ERROR: read failed while waiting for token "DOTI"
(dcc_job_summary) client: 192.168.1.17:45682 OTHER exit:0 sig:0 core:0 ret:108 time:7084ms
(dcc_job_summary) client: 192.168.1.17:45688 COMPILE_ERROR exit:1 sig:0 core:0 ret:0 time:895ms cc /home/bary/download/domoticz-git/src/domoticz/lua/src/lcorolib.c

watch distccmon-text shows nothing.
ViperScull

Re: distcc fails to compile

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Likely, you have mis-matched gcc versions from master to slave for distcc.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby ViperScull » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Gcc version downloaded for distcc is gcc-5.2.0.tar.bz2.
Gcc version in master and client is 5.2.0 as well.

Any other way there could be a mis-match??

makepkg.conf in master has -march=armv6 -mfloat-abi=hard so there couldn't be any problem despite the -march option in makepkg.conf in the client being native, right?

I used your PKGBUILD, just had to change some md5sums for the new packages because they were for gcc 5.1.0-5 according to your PKGBUILD, and the downloads are now for the 5.2.0-2

I've done a test directly with "pump distcc gcc -o test test.c" adding the client IP to /etc/distcc/hosts and it worked fine (though it's a simple printf so there would be no differences between two modern versions).
ViperScull

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:36 am

Odd indeed.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby habibie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:35 am

The subject line says distcc fails to compile is rather a misleading because it is the domoticz package that fails to compile.
habibie

Postby ViperScull » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:19 pm

But domoticz compiles just fine locally.
To add some more info, the error showed is the 110. checking distcc page it says:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'T')he given compiler was not found on the remote host. Check that $CC is set appropriately and that it's installed in a directory on the search path for distccd.

If the program has both C and C++ code, could this make any trouble? Or makepkg uses the appropiate compiler?
ViperScull

Postby habibie » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:47 pm

If you can repeat this with any other packages, then I would agree with what you said. Until then, I would still think the subject line is misleading.
habibie

Return to ARMv6h