Replace Wifi on Pogoplug Pro

Plugging in devices such as LAN adapters, Wi-Fi cards, printers, etc. to Arch Linux ARM.

Replace Wifi on Pogoplug Pro

Postby Fieryphoenix » Mon May 30, 2011 6:40 am

Once I had a look on the backside of the board, I got to thinking. I'll never use the WiFi, at least not on this plug. Is the PCIe half mini slot usable for any linux compatible device? I took a bit of a look for products and things like this make me smile:

http://www.theupgradeplace.com/Transcen ... SD25H.html

Any impediments to it? Lack of ARM compiled drivers, that sort of thing?
Fieryphoenix

Re: Replace Wifi on Pogoplug Pro

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon May 30, 2011 7:23 am

The mPCIe slot will accept any device we can find a driver for. However that, is not an mPCIe device.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Fieryphoenix » Mon May 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Those rapscallions!!!

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'T')he Upgrade Place :: Netbook Solid State Disk (SSD) Drives :: Half Mini PCIe SSD :: Transcend 8GB Half Slim Solid State Drive (MLC) - TS8GSSD25H-M - Our Part #192H

Still, good to know about the slot.
Fieryphoenix

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon May 30, 2011 4:55 pm

Well here is the trick: mSata is physically mPCIe, but crossing the two would likely not be a good idea.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby PLAC3B0 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi everyone,

Having a similar question, I put the post up. New and happy Pogoplug Pro owner (I received it today!), I'm looking in a way to expand PPP capabilities by replacing the mini PCIe wifi card with either of the following adapters :

http://www.startech.com/product/MPEXUSB3S2-2-Port-Mini-PCI-Express-SuperSpeed-USB-3-Card-Adapter

http://www.startech.com/product/MPEXSATA22I-2-Port-Mini-PCI-Express-Internal-SATA-II-Controller-Card

Both adapters seems linux supported. My primary concern is about available space in the case to perform the mod. From a feasability point of view, the SATA II controller seems to be the easiest.

What do you think of this ? Someone already performed such a upgrade ?
PLAC3B0

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Considering that the mPCIe slot is located on the back of the board, you might* have enough room for either. It would be constrained however by clearance. I didn't look at the physical dimensions, but the biggest concern with the USB would be the clearance to available, as with the SATA controller and placing SATA to eSATA ports. It's plausible, yes, but I can't say how plausible. Then there comes the concern over possible kernel requirements for the drivers. I should be able to help out with drivers, but again, I have no further information (or current time to investigate) on the type and status of the drivers, and if they come in a source tarball, etc.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby PLAC3B0 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks for the info... I'll look at the kernel side to confirm the support first. I don't want to put 80$ in a not-so-sure project now ! ;)

I already own 2 80gig SATA drives in a computer with a motherboard fault. I was really enthousiast when I realized the Pogoplug Pro have an internal SATA. I plan to use the first drive for Arch Linux ARM, but I would like to also use the second drive for additionnal space.

As I already have enclosures ready to use, the miniPCIe upgrade seems to be a cheap and interesting option !
PLAC3B0

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:20 pm

Here is my last concern:

I believe that the wifi card is half-length, and both of those adapters are full-length. It may not be feasible for it to remain in the box.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby tramusen » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:39 pm

I couldn't think of a reason I needed WiFi on my Pro (just got Arch running, hooray!) so I have been looking into this as well. One thing of some interest I found is this:
http://www.iointerconnect.com/c0_1.php? ... d=2&cid=17

Not sure how to actually purchase one of those, however that looks to be a pretty good fit, with some modification to the rear casing perhaps? Unfortunately I'm not very hopeful about finding this for purchase, I keep coming across posts that 1) are old, and 2) suggest contacting the manufacturer to express interest.
http://www.zotacusa.com/forum/topic/281 ... sb30-card/

Also, has anyone determined the video chip in the Video model? If it isn't the Broadcom CrystalHD, I also wonder about how well that would work in a Pro. I'm hoping the Video does not use the Broadcom part, as if it did, then adding it might potentially give you the same issues as the Video has with the recall going on right now...
tramusen

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:48 pm

It's not a broadcom, and highly proprietary. I wouldn't bother trying.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Next

Return to Hardware