Devices Question

Plugging in devices such as LAN adapters, Wi-Fi cards, printers, etc. to Arch Linux ARM.

Devices Question

Postby gwpl » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Hello,

I am interested in running Archlinux on Following ARM based devices:

Questions:

• Are those in scope of interest of Archlinux ARM ?
  • Are other users of any of those devices ?
  • Can I help community by testng on those devices ?

Best.,
Greg

Crossreference to Arch Linux forum, topic about Arch Linux ARM
gwpl

Re: Devices Question

Postby kmihelich » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Those devices do have processors capable of running the software, but unless someone else has figured out how to get a separate OS to boot, we don't have any documentation. The Xtremer will require a custom kernel as well.

We obviously can't officially support every ARM device out there, there are thousands of unique devices. If you can come up with a procedure there is a Community-Supported Devices section to the forum where instructions would fit well.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Also, if I remember correctly, the World Book Edition has a kirkwood related board, but without a `cat /proc/cpuinfo` we can't speak directly to it, and there may be some minor hardware differences we aren't aware of.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby JulianXhokaxhiu » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:41 pm

Hi,

i'm a possessor of MyBook World Edition II (2TB version, 1+1TB, RAID 1 configured) and i've got actually installed Debian Squeeze over it (following this instructions). So it's not pretty diffucult to installed another OS over it, just some little hacking and a compatible Kernel with this type of CPU.
I'm writing below the "cat /proc/cpuinfo" you requested :) I'm also leaving here some little documentation from the one which made this installation of Debian possible.

I hope to see Arch over my NAS one day :)

Thanks, and good luck with your project!

----

Processor : ARM926EJ-S rev 5 (v5l)
BogoMIPS : 183.09
Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp java
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 5TEJ
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0x926
CPU revision : 5
Cache type : write-back
Cache clean : cp15 c7 ops
Cache lockdown : format C
Cache format : Harvard
I size : 32768
I assoc : 4
I line length : 32
I sets : 256
D size : 32768
D assoc : 4
D line length : 32
D sets : 256

Hardware : Oxsemi NAS
Revision : 0000
Serial : 00000b7530ac2dc0
JulianXhokaxhiu

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:06 pm

That looks like an OX810 armv5
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby JulianXhokaxhiu » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Seems so :) Unfortunately i can't help on Kernel side, but if you need more info, i'll be happy to post them here ;)
JulianXhokaxhiu

Postby xenoxaos » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:44 am

If I remember correctly....I hated that damn thing. Slow. And if there's no newer kernel available...you're SOL. We pretty much require kernel >~2.6.35
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Postby JulianXhokaxhiu » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:11 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('xenoxaos', 'I')f I remember correctly....I hated that damn thing. Slow. And if there's no newer kernel available...you're SOL. We pretty much require kernel >~2.6.35

Looking at this post (http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,6336) seems that OXNAS arch is actually covered with PogoPlug HW branch. The only difference is that they're using 820 version, while WD uses 810. Now, it seems that reading this (http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermai ... 02269.html) someone had got a 2.6.32 kernel working with his PogoPlug NAS.
What I would like to know is: can we bring a fully functional (or maybe a booting kernel) 2.6.34 merging the 2.6.24 original source code? I'll try to do this myself, I don't know how much this would cost but in fact it would be interesting to understand the possibility.

Thanks,
Julian
JulianXhokaxhiu

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:58 am

The ox820 & ox810 are wildly different. If you can get to a kernel that is stable, and running 2.6.35+, you should be able to run ALARM on it.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to Hardware