Seagate Goflex TV hardware specs?

Plugging in devices such as LAN adapters, Wi-Fi cards, printers, etc. to Arch Linux ARM.

Seagate Goflex TV hardware specs?

Postby audiocrush » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Hello there...
I was wondering if I could be able to make a sort of NAS/Mediaplayer out of the Goflex TV.
I is a very interresting device 'cause it features an HDMI port and a SATA-II port.

Now after hours of googling I ended up here just to ask you if anybody has seen or heard about some specs of this device?
Is it running on an arm arch?
Has it as the goflex net also SATA mux support?
SATA mux is very important to me because I want it to be able to store the files on LVM.

I would be very pleased about some help and/or answers :)

Greetings from Germany

Joe
audiocrush

Re: Seagate Goflex TV hardware specs?

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:42 pm

It is a MIPS device AFAIK :) It's just a successor to the FreeAgent Theatre+ :geek:
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby audiocrush » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:50 pm

oh okay...

thank you :(

would have been a great alternative to the raspberry pi which I do not like very much because of the lacking sata port and the slow clockrate of the cpu :P

btw. does anyone know some cheap sata port multipliers?
audiocrush

Postby xenoxaos » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:50 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817576001
I have this enclosure and I'm really happy with it. The only thing I don't like is that it powers down when I restart my plug and I manually have to power it back on.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Postby audiocrush » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:08 am

well,
these sata raid-boxes are really great to use with a small workstation to save room or whatever but they would bring me a big disadvantage.
A port muxer or multiplier like this one
http://www.lycom.com.tw/st126.htm
makes the drives managable through the controller itself.
Great to build an LVM or ZFS (which would not work because it needs huge amounts of ram) so I would prefer to use an LVM in combination with sata port multis which provide the system a great flexibility.

so if anyone finds some cheaper muxer or multi... please tell me :)

I'm still a student and I really can't afford a lot of things :P
audiocrush

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:21 am

xenoxaos uses a multiplexed enclosure attached to a GFN as his primary media storage.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby audiocrush » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:32 pm

oh sorry
I must have skipped that part in the product description xD
well about 90€ including VAT/Taxes and so on plus shipping to germany... doesn't sound very cost-effective :P

I'think I'll use that lyncom one or keep on looking for a cheaper solution... maybe something to solder by myself because it should look nice and consume very less space when it is finished

but nevertheless

thank you guys.
this community is doing a really great job. nice introduction to arm devices and developing :]

keep it real! ;)
audiocrush

Postby xenoxaos » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:56 pm

One of these days I should post a picture of my shelf. There are 5 plugs sitting there right now.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Postby bodhi » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:00 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('xenoxaos', 'h')ttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817576001
I have this enclosure and I'm really happy with it. The only thing I don't like is that it powers down when I restart my plug and I manually have to power it back on.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'x')enoxaos uses a multiplexed enclosure attached to a GFN as his primary media storage.

xenoxaos,

What kind of cable do you use to connect the GFN to the enclosure ? your enclosure is eSata ? (i.e. so the cable go straight from the GFN SATA port to the eSATA connector?)

Thanks!
bodhi

Postby xenoxaos » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:38 am

It's a SATA male to esata cable....you can find them on Amazon.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('bodhi', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('xenoxaos', 'h')ttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817576001

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'x')enoxaos uses a multiplexed enclosure attached to a GFN as his primary media storage.

xenoxaos,

What kind of cable do you use to connect the GFN to the enclosure ? your enclosure is eSata ? (i.e. so the cable go straight from the GFN SATA port to the eSATA connector?)

Thanks!
xenoxaos
Developer

Next

Return to Hardware