Supported USB WiFi Dongles / USB Bluetooth Dongles

Plugging in devices such as LAN adapters, Wi-Fi cards, printers, etc. to Arch Linux ARM.

Supported USB WiFi Dongles / USB Bluetooth Dongles

Postby LavaChild » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi,

Can we compile a list of supported USB WiFi dongles and also a list of supported USB Bluetooth dongles? It would be good if each entry could be added with an installation guide/tutorial.

I am not shy of RTFM however I am struggling to find definitive answers, so a guide that helps beginners (a) select and purchase and (b) install and configure would be fantastic.

I recommend staying with USB dongles only as (I assume?) these will be largely hardware independent (e.g., PogoPlug v1/v2/v3/v4/Pro/Video/B0x, Dockstar, GoFlex, Sheeva, Guru, etc, etc).

So, please get listing... I cannot wait to determine which devices I should be looking at purchasing and getting my WiFi and BT operating on my ALARM :)

Thanks!
LavaChild

Re: Supported USB WiFi Dongles / USB Bluetooth Dongles

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:18 pm

It's always an option to check cat /proc/config.gz :)
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby LavaChild » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Sorry to be a pain, could you post the contents of your /proc/config.gz?

I have yet to install ALARM but I am purchasing everything that I wish to use 'in advanced' (I've already got the main item - the 'Plug!). It'd be great if you could post it so I can decide which dongles to order.

Specifically, though, it'd be great if you could recommend any that you have experience with... Any that are particularly easy to set up and/or well supported?
LavaChild

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby LavaChild » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:57 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'h')ttps://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/blob/master/core/linux/config

Perfect, thank you. Any personal recommendations? :)
LavaChild

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:01 pm

No. And that has always been publicly available..
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby LavaChild » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:02 pm

I see, my apologies.
LavaChild

Postby LavaChild » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:01 pm

I've preparing to be told to go away and read more but I've been trying for two hours to determine which WiFi dongle has best (easy) support in ALARM and I'm struggling.

Summary:
-I have searched the entire forum (to the best of my ability). The most frequently mentioned with success dongles/chipsets are:

(a) TP-Link TL-WN821Nv3 (AR7010+AR9287) - Uses the ath9k_htc driver (Link: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k_htc)
The main forum thread confirming this to work was: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=247 (See the final posts) (Also: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2668)

(b) Edimax EW-7811Un (RTL8188CUS) - Uses the rtl8192 driver (Link: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/rtl819x)
The main forum thread confirming this to work was: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1129&p=6297 (Also: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2351&p=14280)

Now, (a) seems easier to use - It seems as though it will 'just work'. I don't really understand the /proc/config.gz mentioned in this thread *but* I was able to cross reference it with the above ath9k_htc driver page and I can see that the kernel *does* support this out of the box. I was *unable* to tell if the kernel supports the rtl819x driver out of the box... Can somebody with a better understanding confirm if the /proc/config.gz suggests that it does, please?

I would *prefer* to purchase (b) because of its small form factor (very desirable) and low-cost (<£10 [*]). Having said this I am not a professional and there is no good getting it if I will struggle to use it. The instructions in the above thread do seem simple enough and I have downloaded the driver and had a look and everything makes sense *but* it would be great it was already supported.

I apologise for the length of this email however I wanted to show that I really have tried to research and understand without first crying for help. I don't want to purchase something that won't do the job and I am sure with the expertise here somebody will be able to confirm if (a) and/or (b) work (and to what extent). I thought it was worth checking because some of the threads are old and the support may have not previously been in the kernel but is now present (for example the last post in the Edimax thread says, "will appear in the kernel someday").

Thank you!

[*] http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7811U ... 003MTTJOY/
LavaChild

Postby LavaChild » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:52 pm

I don't mean to be a pain but, anyone?!

I'd love to get to the bottom of this so I can place my order... The sooner I do that the sooner I can get tinkering! :)
LavaChild

Postby LavaChild » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:02 pm

I don't mean to be talking to myself here - and I'll shut up if this receives no interest again - but does anybody have anything to add here?

I have ordered a BlueNext BN-01 Super Mini Bluetooth Dongle [*]. It was the cheapest dongle that I could find with a CSR chipset. Indeed, I could not find any information on many of the really cheap dongles and found read mixed reports of how good they are (OS independent).

I will update my success (or failure!) here once it arrives and I get the chance to try it out.

If I do not hear further on this thread I have decided I'll go for the Edimax WiFi dongle because it's the one (of the above two) I'd 'prefer' and even if there is no kernel support I am happy to compile the driver using the instructions linked to my previous message (It seems the instructions are the same, and needed, under a variety of OS so I am confident that I can seek help from numerous sources should it be necessary).

Thank you :)

[*] http://www.bluenext.co.uk/bluetooth-pro ... ongle.html
LavaChild

Next

Return to Hardware