Nokia serial cable - Win7 64bit driver

Plugging in devices such as LAN adapters, Wi-Fi cards, printers, etc. to Arch Linux ARM.

Nokia serial cable - Win7 64bit driver

Postby devr » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Hey All,

When I first got my PogoPlug there was a wiki for how to go about creating a USB serial cable (think it was something like - http://Arch Linux ARM.com/index.php5/Hardware ... Pro_Serial). Well after the Site face book, some of those articles went missing, so can't reference it. But I ended up purchasing from amazon a 'Nokia phone' cable (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M8WA2G). Which now looking at that page, it is a different product name than what my Invoice had listed which was (OEM Nokia 7210 6800 6610 6200....)

Anyways, recently I reinstalled my Win7 OS, and I lost the driver for this cable. When I first made the cable, I remember having a hard time finding a working driver.. but eventually I got something working. My problem is that in the last few days, I have tried about 15 different Prolific drivers & versions.. Nothing is working. When I look at the windows device manager, I see the error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". Googl'ing for that, you see comments about Prolific chips being hit or miss, or that there are counterfeit chips..

So I was curious if anyone else had this difficulty, if so did you find a solution ? If not, I am fine buying another cable, but this time would prefer something a bit more reliable, any suggestions ?

Whats funny, this cable seems to work just fine under linux & the pl2303 driver loads. When I do an lsusb -v I see $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Bus 001 Device 003: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.10
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x067b Prolific Technology, Inc.
idProduct 0x2303 PL2303 Serial Port
bcdDevice 3.00
iManufacturer 1 Prolific Technology Inc.
iProduct 2 USB-Serial Controller
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
')
devr

Re: Nokia serial cable - Win7 64bit driver

Postby telzey » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:28 pm

The regular Prolific drivers from their website worked for me on Win7 x64 with a generic Chinese cloned Nokia cable ...

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?id=31

I guess that I got lucky and didn't get one with a counterfeit chipset!

I also have a couple of FTDI usb-to-serial cables that are absolutely rock-solid, but are more expensive than the cloned Nokia cables (which I why I bought a "Nokia" to try on a new NAS).

If you want something that is guaranteed to work, search for a TTL-232R-3V3 or TTL-232R-3V3-WE.

For the FTDI on a Pogoplug, I just used a generic CDROM-audio cable to plug into the Pogoplug and extend the serial port to outside the case to a 0.1" connector, and then I plug a TTL-232R-3V3 into the new external 0.1" connector. That means that I can easily unplug the expensive FTDI serial connector and use it wherever I need it.
telzey

Postby devr » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:20 pm

If anyone else is looking for a USB serial wire/adapter, figured I share what I used. I bought a CP2102, made by Silicon Labs. It was cheap and since it was a pretty down-and-dirty device (no plastic case-just circuit board, no real cable-just pin outs) worked for me since I was just going to 're-wire' it anyways, work out perfectly.

It does come with a wire, that you can arrange the wires in any order, but it is pretty short (less than a foot). I just used an old cdrm audio cable and moved the pins to be all next to each other.

It is listed as "USB 2.0 to TTL UART 6PIN Module Serial Converter CP2102" on Amazon, and here is the product link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JKNWLE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
devr

Postby bharath » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:12 pm

I was wondering if any one knows what kind of header is the serial connector. I am planning on getting USB serial ttl cable but would like to get the connector as well so that I can connect it to it. From the image posted by WarheadsSE it seems to look like 4-pin JST but would appreciate it if someone else could confirm it.
bharath

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:12 pm

I have confirmed it many places ;)

The header on the Pro/V3/B0x is a 4-pin JST
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby bharath » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:51 am

I got a Nokia CA-42 cable (not the chinese clone). If I connect the cable to my linux box's USB port the cable doesnt get detected. Does the cable work only if the gnd/rx/tx are connected? If it is broken cable I would like to return it, I havent cut the cables other end yet. I assumed even if the other side isnt connected ttyUSB0 should come up.
bharath

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:09 am

in windows or linux it should show up either way
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby bharath » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:30 am

On Linux it doesnt show up, no device listed in lsusb.
bharath

Return to Hardware