Recommended Brand of USB Sound adapters?

Plugging in devices such as LAN adapters, Wi-Fi cards, printers, etc. to Arch Linux ARM.

Recommended Brand of USB Sound adapters?

Postby ehode » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Is there a recommended brand/model of usb sound adapters that have decent linux support that I should be looking for?
ehode

Re: Recommended Brand of USB Sound adapters?

Postby falker » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:39 pm

I have tested Terratec Aureon Dual USB http://www.terratec.net/en/products/Aur ... _9842.html and a couple of cheap $1 sound adapters from ebay, both worked fine. Although the Aureon is preferred as it supports 44.1KHz, whereas the $1 only does 48KHz. General quality is of course also better.
falker

Postby BinaryJay » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:10 pm

I have been able to get two logitech branded usb headsets working with only minor tweaks to asound.conf to fix hiss/pop/etc. One of them has a detachable usb dongle that I was able to use as an independent sound device and plug it into my home theatre receiver and have a fully working mpd implementation off of the plug.

Issue with that was it's line out was very weak. I ordered a different sound adapter from china for $4.50 that I'm hoping works just as well but with a stronger output. So far, I have not been able to source something similarly cheap that has digital out which I would prefer. I'm also assuming that a lot more messing around with alsa would be required to get any digital out working properly.

Next steps would be that I'd like to get some form of an LED display working to show information like current track and IR working to allow me to control the library directly with a harmony remote but for now I'm using one of the MPD client apps from the android market and my phone as a remote... in any case, for basic listening it saves power over my previous solution of having to power my TV and PS3 on to get at the library in that location.
BinaryJay

Postby BinaryJay » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:46 am

Update. I got a fairly good deal on a second hand Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB unit so I decided to buy it and use it as my output device for MPD on the Arch Linux ARM install. After some farting around with asound.conf, I'm happy to report that it is working absolutely great with the Pogoplug V2 and MPD using the Optical output to my receiver.

If anybody else ends up wanting to get one of these working, here is my asound.conf. Without these tweaks, there is a ton of stuttering and cracking/popping:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "softvol" #make use of softvol
}

# create softvol master channel
# see http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/How_to_use_softvol_to_control_the_master_volume
pcm.softvol {
type softvol
slave {
pcm "dmixer2" #redirect the output to dmix (instead of "hw:0,0")
}
control {
name "Master" #override the PCM slider to set the softvol volume level globally
card S51
}
}

# create stereo dmixer, because using the 6 channel one causes stutter if the channels are empty
pcm.dmixer2 {
type dmix
ipc_key 2343
slave {
pcm "hw:S51"
channels 2
period_time 0
period_size 4096
buffer_size 262144
rate 48000
}
}

pcm.dmixer6 {
type dmix
ipc_key 2342
slave {
pcm "hw:S51"
channels 6
period_time 0
period_size 4096
buffer_size 262144
rate 48000
}
}

')
BinaryJay

Postby senderle » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:11 am

Has anyone had luck with a Griffin iMic?
senderle

Postby pepedog » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:16 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('senderle', 'H')as anyone had luck with a Griffin iMic?

That seems expensive, I got this for 5 UK pounds and it has 3 usb ports (and works OOB)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/skype-3-port-usb-2.0-hub-115187
pepedog
Developer

Postby senderle » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:07 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('pepedog', 'T')hat seems expensive

Only if you buy it now. What if you bought it five years ago and still have it lying around gathering dust?
senderle

Postby pepedog » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Plug it in then and try. Use dmesg to see if it recognizes it.
Chances are that it will work.
pepedog
Developer

Postby shellwig » Wed May 04, 2011 2:27 pm

I got this one to work without too much trouble http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CL-USCM2&cat=SND I posted my configuration I in the thread titled "Audio".
shellwig

Postby pepedog » Wed May 04, 2011 9:23 pm

Got 2 usb sound here, both worked really easilly but the hardware is 48k only.
Want to try bluetooth for sound but no one is posting viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1103
pepedog
Developer

Next

Return to Hardware