Something interesting to look forward to

Plugging in devices such as LAN adapters, Wi-Fi cards, printers, etc. to Arch Linux ARM.

Something interesting to look forward to

Postby replabrobin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:51 pm

replabrobin

Re: Something interesting to look forward to

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:51 am

It is not an ARM.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby slycat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:43 am

from link
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'B')oth include a dual-core ARM A9-based system-on-chip...

:?
Pogoplug Pro w/ Wireless User -> decomm.
Cubox-i4pro User
4TB eSATA HDD (8g/3700+ Sw/Storage)
Kodi / Transmission / Minidlna / Samba / Batch-audio-conversions / Lighttpd
------------------------------
Rollback Machine - Thanks to impatt
slycat

Postby bodhi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:33 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('slycat', 'f')rom link
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'B')oth include a dual-core ARM A9-based system-on-chip...

:?

Yeah, from the article: it's ARM A9 based, with the other cores (16 or 64) acting as co-processcors. So is that analoguous to a multi-core FP co-processor, but with CPU intensive tasks off-loaded to these co-processor? can somebody elaborate more about this?
bodhi

Postby sambul13 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:31 pm

As they say:

"Once completed, the Parallella computer should deliver up to 45 GHz of equivalent CPU performance on a board the size of a credit card while consuming only 5 Watts under typical work loads. Counting GHz, this is more horsepower than a high end server costing thousands of dollars and consuming 400W."

Compare to Intel i7 Extreme at 3.46 GHz and Intel Xeon E7 at 2.66 GHz to foresee potential huge demand from businesses to run server and design (with good GPU) & process workstation tasks. In short, its similar blow to current computing in business world to Raspberry PI for education and media streaming & playback & home automation.

The trick for them seems to be getting startup capital for 64-bit proc, since VCs don't see enough markup in "chip only" making, and they don't offer profit sharing from the board sales, expecting similar to RP "catastrophic" demand. It might not be that fast though, since businesses use leased HW model and tied by supplier contracts. Given expected markup drop, the American dream might work like this: "want to sell it to enterprise - setup own distribution and service structure". Or, it might work over time... :D
Last edited by sambul13 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
sambul13

Postby replabrobin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Well I kick started this at the $495 level. If and when this device arrives I will contribute it to the archlinuxarm community. I know some of you guys are here in London as I am. So please remind me next May (or whenever).
replabrobin

Postby replabrobin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:49 pm

It looks like the kickstarter project may just miss the target amount; anyone interested should definitely contribute.
replabrobin

Postby replabrobin » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:42 am

Amazingly the parallela kickstarter project reached its first stage goal with a few hours to go. They said that when prizes are disributed they'll be in contact to get distribution info; I asked if the prozes could be split here's what they said

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', ' ')Adapteva says:

R.G That's fantastic. The mini-cloud could be broken apart and given out as four different computers to four people, especially for people who are doing independent work, so i think your pledge is appropriate.

To reply to this message, follow this link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/messages/212 ... reply_open
replabrobin

Return to Hardware