Unable to bind wifi dongle to WPA2-PSK. Help pls

Plugging in devices such as LAN adapters, Wi-Fi cards, printers, etc. to Arch Linux ARM.

Unable to bind wifi dongle to WPA2-PSK. Help pls

Postby rjalex » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:47 am

Dear friends,
I hope not to bother you all too much, I'm just starting with Archlinux via a small but nifty "distro" called Archphile to drive a USB DAC off a Raspberry and I am almost good with the setup SAVE for the necessity of connecting via a wifi dongle.
The dongle is an Edimax Wireless 802.11b/g/n nano USB adapter part no. EW-7811Un which should connect to my FritzBox 7390 Wifi router running an 802.11n 2.4GHz network with WPA2-PSK (CCMP) authentication.
Here is what I tried to do to debug the situation but I am stuck.
http://pastebin.com/xZK0XLgQ
Any further help please ?
My plan is after I fix the connection manually I'll setup the proper netctl file to automate.
Thank a LOT in advance
rjalex

Re: Unable to bind wifi dongle to WPA2-PSK. Help pls

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:41 pm

Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby rjalex » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Thank you so much for attempting to help me ! I am 100% so far.

Pls bear with my ignorance but I promise to learn fast. :-)

So you're saying that despite the dongle being recognized by some device driver already present in Archphile's kernel it's probably not working well and you suggest compiling a better one ? Did I get this right ?

Is there a dummy proof tutorial on how to go about downloading the BUILDPKG you mention, build it and use it on my Archphile which is a streamlined "distro" with minimal stuff to support hifi music ?

Ciao from Rome
rjalex

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:22 pm

You might want to check with those that make Archphile for their driver support. Depends on what they built in.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby rjalex » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Yep I think it's the better path until I become more expert ! Thanks again very much.
rjalex

Postby rjalex » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Ok my friends,
I'm still stuck despite a GREAT help from Archphile developer. He prepared for me a package with the module and here's my current situation:
root@archphile ~]# dmesg | grep usbcore -> 12.897157] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8192cu (and no other reference to rtl8192cu in dmesg)

[root@archphile ~]# ip link -> 5: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 link/ether 80:1f:02:f7:3a:71 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

[root@archphile ~]# ip link set wlan0 up -> 5: wlan0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000

[root@archphile ~]# iw dev wlan0 link
Not connected.

AND HERE is the step from the archlinux wiki where things start to go wrong:

[root@archphile ~]# iw dev wlan0 scan
command failed: No such device (-19)

Do I need to load any proprietary firmware ??? If so how ?

Thanks a lot
rjalex

Return to Hardware