A newb question on modules

Plugging in devices such as LAN adapters, Wi-Fi cards, printers, etc. to Arch Linux ARM.

A newb question on modules

Postby rjalex » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Dear friends,
with a lot of help from you all you helped this clueless newb to have his Edimax wifi dongle mostly up and running without any serious glitch.

There's now something I need to ask since it goes beyond my comprehension.

Despite the wifi working very well it does NOT work at all via the iw command. iw list returns to a command prompt without any output, and also # iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan0_sta type station or # iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan0_ap type __ap fail ...

Do I understand correctly in that this driver is a patched alternative to what is found in the standard archlinux kernel ? https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/8192cu-dkms/

Would it make sense for me to attempt using this and not the standard one or it's a waste of time ?

In this case can anyone help me understand what should I do to prepare this module and then when I have it on the system unload the standard one and substitute it with the new one ?

Thanks a lot.
rjalex

Re: A newb question on modules

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:39 pm

I strongly suggest having a good look at http://wireless.kernel.org/
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: A newb question on modules

Postby rjalex » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:26 am

Thank you Warheads,
I did go and read and I think I've understood that the driver which is currently loaded and make the dongle work well but only in client mode, 8192cu, does not support the nl80211 interface which is used by iw and hostapd to work.
Did I get this right ? :-)

Is there a way to either obtain a driver for RTL8192cu or RTL8188CUS which would support nl80211 and thus iw and/or hostapd ?

I also think I have read something about an alternate version of hostapd which would not need the nl80211 api ? would that be a good alternative ?

Also read about some dkms version of the 8192cu driver but am not sure as to how to get it and if it does support he hostapd/iw things.

Thanks a lot for trying to help
rjalex

Return to Hardware