hackable NASs /set top boxes

Plugging in devices such as LAN adapters, Wi-Fi cards, printers, etc. to Arch Linux ARM.

hackable NASs /set top boxes

Postby g8jvm » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi

not sure which section to put this in.

I've played with pogoplugs and earlier NSLU2 , but I suspect I need more grunt than a V2 pogoplug can manage to run 3 ip cameras with motion .

What devices that appear on ebay or similar sources have later processors that are easily hacked to run linux as servers.
And wont break the bank.

That was the nice thing about the pogoplug looked OK and in built PSU, my wife does prefer things which dont lookout of place :(

All the network lines are behind the TV in the corner of the room , hence wife type approval :)

Any suggestions please

Thanks
Best wishes
Richard
richard@g8jvm.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ham Call: G8JVM , QRA IO82SP38 interests weak signal propagation
VHF to microwave, http://www.g8jvm.com
g8jvm

Re: hackable NASs /set top boxes

Postby moonman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:35 pm

I think Odroid XU4 is a good choice. It is $75 USD + $10 for enclosure. USB 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet.

Otherwise there is a chart of supported devices here: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7
You can look up the price of the ones that interest you in your country.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby g8jvm » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi Moonman
isn't strange how the price your side is $75 , yet over here its GBP 75(US$ 113)
I was wondering if the Odroid C1+ might do the job, its only going to be running motion with a maximum of 4 IP cameras attached,
nothing else unless its streaming video out when I check the cameras. would the XU4 be an over kill ????
I'll feed the IP cams via switch, and as a second ethernet port is needed , use a USB/ethernet adaptor to connect to the main router.
I could get a microSD with Xbuntu on, I'd prefer Arch as its leaner,
I'll have to find out how to put Arch on to a SD card

Thanks for the info
Best wishes
Richard
richard@g8jvm.com
g8jvm

Postby moonman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Oh wow, I wish they did the same thing for CAD as $75CAD = $56 USD :D
But if you look on odroid.com and order direct from them it might be cheaper and it was delivered to me within 3 days from Korea (there is a $20 USD shipping fee)

C1 might do the job for you, depending on what kind of load your cams need with motion. 4 core/4 cameras that is 1 core per camera which should work out perfectly if a single camera doesn't need much.
Another limiting factor: USB 2.0. You will be sharing 30MB/s between all your cameras and second ethernet adapter.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby g8jvm » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:21 pm

Hiya
yes for Can$ to US$ you win ,,but GBP 1 = US$ 1.50 at the moment, so we pay more.
Importing direct would attract 20% Tax plus Customs duty.
So we can't win.:( I have in the past got goods delivered in the USA then posted to me, but there a catch with that as well.
Suppliers in the USA sell your details, then you get bombarded with spam, and as you are outside the USA the federal authorities wont stop it, as the say they will for US citizens
There would only be one cam at a time getting streamed thru the USB2 port, so it maybe OK, but if not I could throw everything thru the switch.

I'll get one, if there is stock and have a play , I found the howto on loading Arch on to a SD card .

cheers
Best wishes
Richard
richard@g8jvm.com
g8jvm

Postby g8jvm » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:38 pm

Hi
sorta reply to myself

I just bought a C1+ at GBP30, as long as I drive 12 miles down the road to collect it, I'll grab a case and PSU when I get there as well.
That saved GBP 7.50 .
Best wishes
Richard
richard@g8jvm.com
g8jvm

Postby Socaltom » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:40 pm

I've run up to 4 ip cams on a PP V3 with the dual oxnas processors. There are some things you can do to reduce the load on the CPU as well. Reduce the framerate to 5 FPS or so if you can on the camera end.
I also wrote up some tips to help.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7839&hilit=motion
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Return to Hardware