firefox-47.0-1 core dump

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

Re: firefox-47.0-1 core dump

Postby Mike01 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:21 pm

I have just updated and also firefox 47-0-2 gives me segfault, thunderbird too
Mike01

Postby modul » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:37 pm

I'm fine with chromium now and I don't use Thunderbird.

Hm, the problem is, we can't open an issue on github for it. It think, the best is, drop a mail to the ALARM Maintainer of the PKGBUILDs.

https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... d/PKGBUILD
https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... x/PKGBUILD

--> # ALARM: Kevin M...
modul

Postby Mike01 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:58 pm

Yes, chromium is fine, i will check tomorrow the links, we will see what we can do
Mike01

Postby moonman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:38 pm

Kevin is probably aware of the problem, he does check forums. He is one person maintaining 99% of all packags so he probably didn't have the time to look into the issue. We need to figure out what the problem is.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby wamserma » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:25 am

There was a similar problem with Chromium recently, caused by something changing in GCC and Chromium 47 wouldn't build with GCC newer than 5.2 while the official Toolchain for ALARM was at 5.4.
So I'd stick with FF 45 (keeping security issues in mind) and wait for the next gcc. If anyone needs the old binary packages for arm7, I can pick them from my pacman-cache.

Kevin will probably wait for this to fix itself with a new FF/GCC. If you are able to find a workaround and produce a working binary with this toolchain: https://archlinuxarm.org/wiki/Distcc_Cross-Compiling make a pull-request on GitHub. Kevin usually responds quickly (within a few days) to a good PR.

It's a bit annoying that the GitHub issue-tracker is deactivated, but I guess there would be too many issues that belong either upstream or are filed just because people are too lazy to make a 2-line PR.
wamserma

Postby qlum » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:51 am

BTW now that hunspell updated you need to downgrade that as well when downgrading FF.
qlum

Postby haagch » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:16 pm

After first chromium not working for weeks and now thunderbird AND firefox not working I have to ask the question: Why is there continuously software in the repositories that just doesn't work?

I really don't want to leave archlinux arm, but if there is no effort to keep at least the most popular software working, users won't have much of a choice if they want a working system...
haagch

Postby cmsigler » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi,

I'm not a dev, so take this FWIW.

From what I understand Arch Linux ARM has a small fraction of the man-hour and other resources of mainline Arch. Moreover, mainline Arch has the testing repository so software in the released repositories has been through some level of QA. So if mainline Arch is "cutting edge" then ALARM is truly "bleeding edge." It may not be possible for ALARM to have a "testing" repository due to their manpower shortage.

If your group doesn't have time to debug problems like this, passing patches back to ALARM or upstream, the best solution likely is not to purge installed packages from the pacman pkg caches so downgrades are easy. There is also the Arch Linux ARM Rollback Machine of which you're probably aware.

Just speaking for myself, I greatly appreciate and am much impressed by the Arch Linux ARM project. I hope someday it will be a mainline project parallel to Arch Linux itself :D It looks like ARM may be the future.

Clemmitt
- Raspberry Pi 3
- Odroid-C2
- Raspberry Pi Zero
cmsigler

Postby haagch » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:47 pm

I appreciate it too. It's my distribution of choice. I still think this issue needs to be solved or it will lose its appeal.

My chromebook doesn't have a lot of space, so I'm not going to keep a large list of old package versions...

I'm not saying archlinux arm should be responsible for debugging and fixing upstream bugs, but when packages in the repositories are known to be definitely broken, they should roll back the package version in the repository to the last working state, including the dependencies - as someone said "BTW now that hunspell updated you need to downgrade that as well when downgrading FF.".
haagch

Postby andreworg » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:51 pm

I just installed firefox-47.0.1-1.1 and everything seems to be working again.

Does anyone know more about this issue?
andreworg

PreviousNext

Return to ARMv7h