collectd on armv7

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

collectd on armv7

Postby eule » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:55 am

Dear all,

I just setted up Arch ARM on a RPi 2B. My idea was to add a thin timeseries logging tool and want to give collectd a try.
Unfortunately it is not supported by the official repos. But I found it on AUR. Unfortunately again the PKGBUILD does not support armv7. By digging deaper into the PKGBUILD I also found that it depends on additional libs from AUR... So at least from perspective, it seems to be not an easy solution.

So my questions are

1) Is anybody using collectd on armv7?
2) If so, how to install it?
3) Is there any similar package available directly from the official repos which can be used instead of collectd? I found munin and netstat, but I think they are a bit overkill for what I would like to do. Probably they need a lot of ressources (RAM, storage, CPU) and are difficult to setup. However I gave netstat a short try (because it should be very ressource efficient). But directly de-installed it as it was "too much" for me and the annoying advertisment of their cloud product.

Thanks a lot in advance for any information, opinion ...

Oliver
eule

Re: collectd on armv7

Postby graysky » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:18 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('eule', 'U')nfortunately again the PKGBUILD does not support armv7. By digging deaper into the PKGBUILD I also found that it depends on additional libs from AUR... So at least from perspective, it seems to be not an easy solution.

1) Is anybody using collectd on armv7?
2) If so, how to install it?
3) Is there any similar package available directly from the official repos which can be used instead of collectd?

Just build with the -A switch to ignore the fact that the AUR PKGBUILD lacks armv7h or edit the PKGBUILD to include that. You will have to build dependencies, it is not a big deal in general. Not sure about other alternatives. On OpenWrt, collectd is a pretty standard thing people use.
graysky
Developer

Postby eule » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:32 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', ' ')On OpenWrt, collectd is a pretty standard thing people use.

Yes, I also thought that collectd is somehow "standard" on most linux distros. Looks like it is not "popular" enough for Arch.
eule

Postby eule » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:10 pm

I now build the package with the -A switch. Before that I only needed to build the liboping package from AUR. The rest came from the official repos.
During the build of collectd I saw some warnings. Now i am unsure if I can trust that collectd will work without problems. So what do you think, is this more an "experimenal" version, because may be the architecture does not fit (32 vs. 64 bit)?
eule

Postby graysky » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:50 pm

Warnings are not errors, does it work?
graysky
Developer

Postby eule » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:58 pm

I have not installed it yet, as I had no time to do it.
I will come back, when I know more.
eule

Postby eule » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:44 pm

I have now installed and tested it with these plugins:

syslog
cpu
interface
load
python
rrdtool

So far no issues with them, so I would say, it is working!
eule

Return to ARMv7h