Cannot startx - ASUS Chromebook Flip C100

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

Cannot startx - ASUS Chromebook Flip C100

Postby cameronbrown » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:41 am

Hello, I recently installed Arch Linux ARM on my Chromebook and after a brief struggle with WiFi drivers I finally managed to get a working installation, however I attempted to install a desktop manager using this guide: [url]Muktware.io/how-to-install-arch-linux-arm-on-asus-chromebook-flip/3/#page-content[/url].

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -S xorg-utils xorg-server sddm mate')

However when I try and run the SDDM server, it crashes:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'systemctl start sddm')

I tried to startx directly (by installing the xorg-xinit package) however when I run startx, it says "/dev/dri/card0: Permission denied". This occurs whether run as root, or not. I'm out of ideas, could anybody render assistance on getting MATE (or preferably i3) working on my little Chromebook. I bought this not knowing it was ARM based, and it's probably the worst thing about this cheap little computer.
cameronbrown

Re: Cannot startx - ASUS Chromebook Flip C100

Postby summers » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:19 am

me, I'd have said that the arm cpu is one of the best bits about low power laptops, it what means you can get 10 hour battery life!

Anyway IIRC the rockchip in the C100 is a mali GPU? Thats known to be a tad so/so under linux.

Gut feeling though the modesetting driver stands a good chance of working: xf86-video-modesetting

Try starting using startx, then check the error logs to see what went wrong.

[Hmmm, just checked - modesetting driver isn't in arm arch .... wonder why ...]
summers

Re: Cannot startx - ASUS Chromebook Flip C100

Postby pepedog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:40 pm

You might need something like xf86-video-fbdev installed
You might have to edit .xinitrc too
pepedog
Developer

Return to ARMv7h