No activity after 'pacman -Syu && sync && systemctl reboot'

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

Re: No activity after 'pacman -Syu && sync && systemctl rebo

Postby fionnbharr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Also, thanks for the link -- it describes a kernel panic based on a bad video module, but it affects all Arch installations on all RPi platforms.

The thing is, as the serial/UART connection is the primary output, I *usually* get all errors sent via the serial line to screen runnning on my laptop. With no serial activity, I can't tell if there's a kernel panic or not -- usually *something* gets sent. This is an unusual situation: I can't diagnose 'is there a kernel panic?'.

Since the errors seem to be cropping up for all RPi platforms, I think this answers my question on another thread "Is Arch on RPi Broken?" The answer seems to be 'Yes'.
fionnbharr

Postby Kabbone » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:51 pm

See my answer here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=11486&p=55215#p55215

Regarding your update problem, it's a other problem. Rpi3 completely running fine here up-to-date
Kabbone

Postby fionnbharr » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:33 am

So, Kabbone -- can you reproduce the problem?

* Pi2 image from three days ago -- new install, following instructions at the 'Installation' tab located at https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... berry-pi-3 , on a headless RPi3 B board. Be sure to add "enable_uart=1" to your /boot/config.txt

* CAT5e network cable; and serial cable on pins 6,8, and 10. No camera, keyboard, mouse, monitor, audio or HDMI. Add power cable to start up.

* Ensure root login over the serial line.

* Ensure the system is working to your satisfaction, then 'pacman -Syu'. Make sure all updates take place.

* 'systemctl reboot'. Alternatively, 'systemctl poweroff' then unplug and re-plug power cable.

I'd like to know what happens.
fionnbharr

Postby Kabbone » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:06 pm

There seems to be a problem with the UART parameter in the /boot/config.txt. Without the UART line, it boots up normally.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure if I already appended the line before the update with a reboot
Kabbone

Postby fionnbharr » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:10 pm

Are you working exclusively over the Serial line? The 'enable_uart' parameter forces the RPi3 to use the serial line rather than the Bluetooth -- otherwise there is a conflict. This is well-known and well-documented. I havent' seen any indications that users are complaining. What people are complainign about is the module blacklisting and lack of documentation regarding it.
fionnbharr

Postby Kabbone » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:46 pm

No, I don't work with uart. I have a converter here, but I only use it if my other board breaks.
I just tested the new image and the parameter, with enabled uart it didn't boot anymore after the update, but with disabled uart there were no problems with my pi.
Kabbone

Postby fionnbharr » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:49 am

Well, not working exclusively over the serial line sort of defeats the purpose (and ability) for developing embedded projects, no?
fionnbharr

Postby BBUK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:06 pm

I can confirm this (albeit with a Pi Zero W). No activity (other than a brief LED flash) following an update with "enable_uart=1" in config.txt.

Looking at the Foundation's github issues page, there seems to be a few related to the serial port with 4.9. I imagine it will be sorted at some point.

For me, I just held back the *raspberry* packages and this allowed me to update whilst still being able to reboot (a somewhat fragile temporary solution).

BBUK
BBUK

Postby Kabbone » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:04 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('fionnbharr', 'W')ell, not working exclusively over the serial line sort of defeats the purpose (and ability) for developing embedded projects, no?

I don't develop for embedded projects. My ARM devices are only media centers, ambilight, NAS and so on. But why should you have to use serial line for every purpose? There are several projects, which don't need it at all, just depends on your project. In my usecases ssh ist enough.
Kabbone

Previous

Return to ARMv7h