4G RAM on C100P

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

Re: 4G RAM on C100P

Postby summers » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:55 am

Glad it worked!

Long term way forward, I guess would be a new dts file - although your machine is based on the veyron design - it is different, e.g. in the installed memory. So that to me means a different dts file. That said though it would mean getting it accepted in the main kernel/device tree list.

Not sure what best way is of replacing the device tree by some kind of overlay, that really depends on how device tree is handled. What we have seen here is that depthcharge isn't doing the device tree, but that the kernel is using its own version tacked to the end of the kernel. I don't see how you could overlay that - e.g. the device tree *has* to be at the end of the kernel file, so *has* to be added there ...

Better would be for depthcharge to evovolve to do device trees, as did uboot before ...

@WarheadsSE : So the one kernel file has *many* device trees added to the file? How does chrome know which one to boot?
summers

Postby yaroze » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:42 am

I was looking through the PKGBUILD file and l looked like it is using patches from linux repo and also ArchArm specific patches included in the git archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs.

I didnt spend to long on what the process was but it appears to do a diff on the patches and the base version files in the Linux main repo.

I am guessing from there it compiles the result of adding the changes, I could be completely wrong on this but couldn't
it just do the same thing and have a ARM-atag patch which injected the override for the memory to that rk3288-veyron-minnie.dts file. That way nothing has to change upstream/mainline only the override in that specific file at compile time.

Again I am only guessing what happens with patches!
yaroze

Postby keenerd » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:19 pm

This problem does not seem to affect other C100P users. (And people have contacted me about a lot of weird stuff.) Personally my machine reports all 4GB. `free` says 4,106,644 KB, `top` says 3.916 GB.
keenerd

Postby yaroze » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:48 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('keenerd', 'T')his problem does not seem to affect other C100P users. (And people have contacted me about a lot of weird stuff.) Personally my machine reports all 4GB. `free` says 4,106,644 KB, `top` says 3.916 GB.

Hey #Keenerd are you using the mainline kernel?

I don't have the problem if I use the veyron install ArchLinuxARM-veyron-latest.tar.gz its only when I use the mainline kernel ArchLinuxARM-armv7-chromebook-latest.tar.gz.
yaroze

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:05 pm

Good point of differentiation.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Refutationalist » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Funny thing is, I kind of forgot about this and found the thread again while searching for rpi stuff. Made the changes as in this thread, made a patch, built a new package, and my problem is solved!

Thank you all!
Refutationalist

Previous

Return to ARMv7h