Raspberry Pi 3: X Freezes up When Using vc4-fkms-v3d Driver

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

Raspberry Pi 3: X Freezes up When Using vc4-fkms-v3d Driver

Postby cmiles74 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Hello,

I'm using the vc4-fkms-v3d driver with a Raspberry Pi 3. I'm using the "fkms" variant because my project is using the composite out connector to power a little TFT display. If I use the regular "kms" driver with HDMI, I see OpenGL accelerated graphics and it works well. When I use the "fkms" driver, X will start but then hangs as soon as I try to start something. That is, X initializes the display and draws in the mouse pointer. I can move the mouse pointer and it moves on screen. When I try to start an Xterm window (or any kind of window), I get the "spinning" mouse pointer and then everything seems stuck. Moving the mouse no longer moves the pointer although the animation for the spinning pointer continues to animate.

I can see a new "xterm" entry in the process list. This is what I'm seeing in the journal log...

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
Sep 15 14:53:11 atari dbus[275]: [system] Rejected send message, 0 matched rules; type="error", sender=":1.0" (uid=0 pid=273 comm="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-logind ") interface="(unset)" member="(unset)" error name="org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.16" (uid=1001 pid=389 comm="/usr/lib/xorg-server/Xorg -nolisten tcp :0 vt1 -au")
Sep 15 14:53:14 atari dbus[275]: [system] Rejected send message, 0 matched rules; type="error", sender=":1.0" (uid=0 pid=273 comm="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-logind ") interface="(unset)" member="(unset)" error name="org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.16" (uid=1001 pid=389 comm="/usr/lib/xorg-server/Xorg -nolisten tcp :0 vt1 -au")
Sep 15 14:53:14 atari dbus[275]: [system] Rejected send message, 0 matched rules; type="error", sender=":1.0" (uid=0 pid=273 comm="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-logind ") interface="(unset)" member="(unset)" error name="org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.16" (uid=1001 pid=389 comm="/usr/lib/xorg-server/Xorg -nolisten tcp :0 vt1 -au")
')

If anyone has any suggestions or hints, I would be most appreciative! I can move forward without OpenGL (performance for the emulator I'm using is fine with SDL) but there are some cool filters I can use under OpenGL that make the project look more authentic.

Thank you!
cmiles74

Re: Raspberry Pi 3: X Freezes up When Using vc4-fkms-v3d Dri

Postby cmiles74 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:02 pm

It must have something to do with the desktop environment. I was loading i3 from my .xinitrc. I changed this to just run the emulator and that's working fine. This is my main concern, so I'm going to chalk this up to a win. :-)
cmiles74

Return to ARMv7h