ODroid XU4 arch changed from armv7h to armv7l?

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

ODroid XU4 arch changed from armv7h to armv7l?

Postby leothrix » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:09 pm

Hey, I'm hoping that I'm just overlooking something obvious here.

I have an ODroid XU4 (on the linux-odroid-xu3 kernel package) and I've always custom-compiled AUR packages under the armv7h arch. Something must've shifted underneath this setup though, as this stopped working recently.

Here's the result of trying to makepkg an AUR package for armv7h:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
==> ERROR: nomad is not available for the 'armv7l' architecture.
')

This seems to be because setarch is no longer reporting armv7h:

$ setarch --list
uname26
linux32
linux64
armv7l
')

For some reason, CARCH and CHOST seem to differ?

$ egrep '(CARCH|CHOST)' /etc/makepkg.conf
CARCH="armv7h"
CHOST="armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf"
')

I've tried tweaking CARCH in makepkg.conf to armv7l, which (understandably) doesn't install on the host.

What's especially confusing is that the CPU-reported architecture is now armv7l:

$ lscpu | grep -i arch
Architecture: armv7l
')

Did a kernel setting change somewhere? Is something about my setup broken, or did something fundamentally change in the linux-odroid-xu3 kernel?
leothrix

Re: ODroid XU4 arch changed from armv7h to armv7l?

Postby leothrix » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:13 am

I should probably note:

- Downgrading kernels didn't change the output of lscpu, so it seems more likely that it might've been a change on my part, although I can't recall changing anything.
- This seems to occur _only_ when building inside of a clean chroot - vanilla makepkg appears unaffected.
leothrix

Re: ODroid XU4 arch changed from armv7h to armv7l?

Postby moonman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:47 am

armv7h is just a name that denotes packages compiled for armv7 with hardware floating point (hence the h), it is not an actual name for arm architechture.

Your aur package doesn't have "armv7h" in the arch=(...) array. You can add it yourself or you can use -A with makepkg (i.e. makepkg -A). It may or may not compile. Some packages need tweaks to compile for arm, but most will compile as-is.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to ARMv7h