missing something affecting vlc playback performance

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

missing something affecting vlc playback performance

Postby jfabernathy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:56 am

I have the latest archlinuxarm installed on an RP3B+ with LXDE gui. I also installed vlc and alsa-utils. The Pi has an mpeg2 licence.

When I try to play a m4v video with vlc the video is choppy and not acceptable. I know it's not the hardware because I can do the same thing on the same RP3B+ with Raspbian buster and the video is great.

So I'm missing something that needs to be installed. Is there a guide to what is needed on archlinuxarm to make the video playback good? I'm using archlinuxarm as a learning tool on how all this is put together. Installing the default raspbian works but I'd like to know what it takes to really make it work.
jfabernathy

Re: missing something affecting vlc playback performance

Postby moonman » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:25 am

Raspbian probably has VLC compiled with acceleration for Pi. We support many other devices so we don't optimize software for any particular device (with the exception of kodi)
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: missing something affecting vlc playback performance

Postby jfabernathy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:06 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'R')aspbian probably has VLC compiled with acceleration for Pi. We support many other devices so we don't optimize software for any particular device (with the exception of kodi)

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense to me now for vlc.
jfabernathy

Return to ARMv7h