ArmV7 Chromebook, drivers for wifi on newer kernel?

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

ArmV7 Chromebook, drivers for wifi on newer kernel?

Postby stratus » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi all,

I was trying to understand how one might take an existing kernel such as Linux-Veyron and pull out or otherwise enable the broadcom 4354 drivers. When I update to the latest kernel the wifi stops working, obviously driver related. If I wanted to install the newest kernel, how would I go about making sure the drivers are available in the newer kernel

I looked at the 3.14 install but it doesn't seem to be using device tree (or at least I didn't find any dtb files. Since my particular device does not have any PCI (at least lspci does not work) I am not really sure how to proceed. I am willing to do some reading and some tinkering but I don't even know where to start.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I dont really understand how to do device discovery in this environment
stratus

Re: ArmV7 Chromebook, drivers for wifi on newer kernel?

Postby matto » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:09 pm

I'm running into this too. I downgraded the linux-firmware package and wifi came back.

Here's the command I used

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-firmware-20201218.646f159-1-any.pkg.tar.xz')

You'll probably have a different set of firmware packages at that location, and you will probably want to choose the second latest one.

The error message that's occurring is the following:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac4354-sdio.google,veyron-speedy-rev9.txt failed with error -2')

I don't know what might cause that, but when the firmware loads correctly, the message is as follows:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac4354-sdio for chip BCM4354/1')

so maybe the ".google,veyron-speedy-rev9.txt" got attached onto the end of the file to look for?
matto

Return to ARMv7h