console/command line doesn't appear after boot

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

console/command line doesn't appear after boot

Postby ganxopowah » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:16 pm

I've had a problem some months ago, and it still persists today.
Some time ago I updated my archlinux OS (on a rpi4, 8gb) and after that, the system no longer displays a console (something weird, cause the boot starts properly)
After that, I tried reinstalling the OS again (maybe the graphic driver got corrupted or somethind, i dunno) but it didn't work, it remains the same.
Someone could help me or give me some advice?
ganxopowah

Re: console/command line doesn't appear after boot

Postby robg » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:14 pm

Kindly let us know if

1. installing ALARM on your RPI (as per the instructions on the wiki) results in a working command prompt being displayed on your screen (and tell us whether you used the ARMv7 or ARMv8 image);
2. provided the standard installation instructions for ALARM fail, does Raspberrypi OS work? If yes, what display settings are reported?
3. provided the standard installation instructions for ALARM succeed, what packages do you install? Does the installation lead to your command prompt disappearing?
robg

Postby ganxopowah » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:56 pm

Ok, let's answer:
1. I followed the instructions of an ARMv7 installation (it's the only available for rpi4) and as I said on another forum entry, no command promt is displayed, but the color square and boot starts correctly
2. I didn't used raspberry pi OS, but using manjaro linux ARM all went correctly
3. I installed the latest version available, and yes, command promt doesn't appear (also SSH doesn't work in any other cases, it's like there's no way to manipulate system)
I also revised the text files from boot if it's something wrong but everything seems fine.
ganxopowah

Postby robg » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:33 pm

The idea behind the question is that (if I remember correctly) the ARMv7 image runs the kernel provided by the Raspberry Pi team. Thus, had you succeeded in booting Raspberrypi OS, we would know that ALARM should work as well, and your problem would be reduced to determining the right boot/screen parameters.

Fortunately, I believe that Manjaro also runs the Raspberry Pi kernel, and thus we have the desired confirmation.

For the next step, I suggest that you post the outputs of `uname -a`, `pacman -Qs linux-`, and `cat /boot/config.txt` from your functioning Manjaro installation. From there we can narrow down the required paramters to make ALARM work.
robg

Return to ARMv7h