Raspberry Pi 5 - not booting

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

Re: Raspberry Pi 5 - not booting

Postby SpaceAgeHero » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:28 pm

Ooops, no. I had linux-aarch64 installed.
It works now.
Thanks
SpaceAgeHero

Postby hifi25nl » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:35 pm

This means that Raspberry pi5 can boot only with linux-rpi or linux-rpi-16k but not with linux-aarch64?

I would like to test pi5 with linux-aarch64 since I cannot assign irq to specific cores using linux-rpi versions
hifi25nl

Postby solskogen » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:20 pm

[quote="hifi25nl"]This means that Raspberry pi5 can boot only with linux-rpi or linux-rpi-16k but not with linux-aarch64?

I would like to test pi5 with linux-aarch64 since I cannot assign irq to specific cores using linux-rpi versions[/quote]

Correct. linux-aarch64 haven't been updated since march.
solskogen

Postby graysky » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:57 am

For RPi5, I highly recommend linux-rpi-16k. Why are you unable to assign irq to specific cores under it? Is there a config option missing to allow this?
graysky
Developer

Postby Zepman » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:13 pm

I hard disagree with the unconditional recommendation to replace linux-rpi with linux-rpi-16k on a Raspberry Pi 5. Only switch to linux-rpi-16k if you do not run any software that breaks. Some examples of software that breaks with the 16k kernel, including filesystem drivers(!) and user-space applications:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/bookworm-feedback/issues/107
Zepman

Postby txomon » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:51 pm

For anyone struggling to boot a rpi5, the steps I followed where the same as https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/broadcom/raspberry-pi-4 however using ArchLinuxARM-rpi-aarch64-latest.tar.gz (from http://ca.us.mirror.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-rpi-aarch64-latest.tar.gz).

However, instead of step 6, I downloaded manually https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/aarch64/linux-rpi (Download link on the right), used tar xf on the file inside the root/ directory after removing the existing boot/ files, and removed old kernel troublesome things:
[code]
wget http://mirror.archlinuxarm.org/aarch64/core/linux-rpi-6.6.9-2-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz
cd root/
rm -rf boot/*
tar xf ../linux-rpi-6.6.9-2-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz
rm mnt/usr/share/libalpm/hooks/60-linux-aarch64.hook
rm mnt/etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-aarch64.preset
[/code]

Just in case, if you get errors while uncompressing the linux-rpi package, you can uncompress it somewhere else and completely replace the root/boot directory.

Then, you can already boot arch in the rpi5, however your system will be mildly broken, because we have manually installed a package without the official means (pacman).

Now the next step is to fix the situation with pacman.

There are probably better ways, however the way I did it once logged into the system was:

[code]
pacman-key --init
pacman-key --populate archlinuxarm
pacman -Syu --overwrite '*' linux-rpi
pacman -Syu --noconfirm # This command will complain about missing files
[/code]

Just in case, if by when you try this, you get a `WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.` error from the mkinitcpio -p linux-rpi, go to `/usr/lib/initcpio/install/kms` and comment the line with add_checked_modules_from_symbol
txomon

Postby emoceon » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:21 am

Hi, is this boot workaround still applicable?

Is there anything I need to change?

Thank you :)
emoceon

Postby eggbladder » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:33 am

im unable to boot into arm arch on my RPI5 with any method here. anybody know any alternate methods of doing it, or a guide on how to do it?
eggbladder

Postby graysky » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:58 am

Firstly, the ARM cores in BCM2712 are incapable of running the kernel in 32-bit mode. This means no armv7h kernel.
Secondly, currently, RPi5 mainline support is not present (6.7-series) and uboot does not fully support RPi5 yet. You should not be using linux-aarch64 on RPi5. You should be using linux-rpi-16k.
graysky
Developer

Postby Zepman » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:26 pm

Again, do not state that users should be using linux-rpi-16k without mentioning the caveats discussed earlier in this topic. Instead, advise to use linux-rpi if you do not mention anything else. A stable kernel with a bit of performance loss is preferable compared to unstable or non-working kernels, depending on which functionality the user needs.
Zepman

Previous

Return to ARMv7h