OrangePi OS(Arch) connection with VNC

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

OrangePi OS(Arch) connection with VNC

Postby batr0c » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:23 pm

Hello! I am newb in Linux, I bought an Orange Pi Zero 3 for training, I wanted to learn how to remotely control Linux. The manufacturer did not provide instructions for remote control Arch (only for Ubuntu and Debian), because them distro is designed to work with the GUI; it only provided the user name and password 'oem'. But I tried with SSH on MobaXterm and I have a couple of questions:

[b]oem@oem[/b]

[i]change root password[/i]
[b]sudo passwd root[/b]
1. Is there any way to disable changing the root user password?

[i]update[/i]
[b]sudo pacman -Syu[/b]

[i]add packadge mirrors[/i]
[b]nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist[/b]
Server =make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, ' ', 'http://mirror.archlinuxarm.org/aarch64/extra/', '', ' class="postlink"')
Server =make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, ' ', 'https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/aarch64/', '', ' class="postlink"')

then I tried TigerVNC, but couldn't get it to work.
2. Does it even work on ArchARM?

then I tried x11vnc, It started successfully
[b]sudo pacman -S x11vnc
x11vnc -storepasswd
x11vnc -rfbauth /home/oem/.vnc/passwd[/b]

I went into the GUI with vnc, a wizard was launched there for initialization. I created a new user instead of the default one and the wizard rebooted the system. The user 'oem' was removed from the system by the wizard. I logged in as a new user and created a password for VNC for a new user, but x11 was broken. I've reinstalled everything related to xorg and x11vnc, but to no avail. I reinstalled the system and started again but after finishing the wizard, I did not allow it to reboot the system and run reboot with a 5 minute delay in terminal
[b]shutdown -r +5[/b]

then logged out from vnc and ssh
after reboot, I deleted x11vnc and installed it again
[b]sudo pacman -Rs x11vnc
sudo pacman -S x11vnc
x11vnc -storepasswd
x11vnc -rfbauth /home/newuser/.vnc/passwd -display :0[/b]
after that everything started working correctly

3.Any ideas what could break x11vnc?

In general, the distro 'OrangePi OS(Arch)' requires refinement, it does not update and there are other errors, for example:
4. "kwindowsystem5 and kwindowsystem are in conflict". This seems to be an error for KDE, although the distro is with xfce.
5. After updating Chromium to version 119, it does not start, and old versions are nowhere to be found - this is a strange approach from ArchlinuxARM.
batr0c

Return to ARMv7h