distcc issues

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

distcc issues

Postby quark » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:14 am

I'm having a very strange issue, I removed distcc from the system but it keeps trying to use it.
There's no distcc package installed, makepkg.conf has been modified to not use it

[code]BUILDENV=(!distcc color !ccache check !sign)[/code]

Nothing else related, no /etc/default/ related files, nothing in ENV, no services related. Yet I'm trying to update a package via yay and it keeps trying to distribute it to compile server. ATM I'm grepping the whole system for traces of it or compile server IP. It's like it's haunted by distcc. What do I do? I mean it works to compile packages but it's annoying that I keep getting the "failed to distribute" errors constantly.
quark

Re: distcc issues

Postby graysky » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:46 am

Don’t use yay which might have some options enabled. Use makepkg
graysky
Developer

Postby quark » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:37 pm

Does the same with makepkg.

[code]distcc[17429] (dcc_build_somewhere) Warning: failed to distribute, running locally instead[/code]
quark

Postby graysky » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:58 pm

Odd. If you edited /etc/makepkg.conf and ~/.makepkg.conf to not use distcc, I am wondering if your source itself has been modified to have calls hardcoded? What about some alias you may have setup define an environment variable?

[code]
env|grep -i distcc
[/code]
graysky
Developer

Postby quark » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:30 am

Yeah I know it's odd. I have no ~/.makepkg.conf file. env|grep -i distcc comes up blank. I had a /etc/makepkg.conf.pacsave or smth and I nuked it anyway. Didn't have time yet to grep ALL the files for the server's IP, comes up when it fails connecting to it.
quark

Postby quark » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:49 am

Ok so I did have a ~/.distcc folder, for some reason, which had two subfolders, "lock" and "state". Deleting it wasn't enough, also had to reboot. Now seems fine. Kinda disappointed in a way, was a good candidate for a glitch in the Matrix.
quark

Postby quark » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:53 am

Oh we're back baby! I swear I'm not messing with you. Canceled the build and restarted it and now again asks to distribute. With no ~/.distcc folder. What do I do?

edit: Yeah I figured out why it didn't try it that one time, because in between me canceling the build and trying it again a new package was available for update, which starts building before the one using distcc, and threw me off. Once that is done the next package tries to use distcc. So it never actually worked even after I removed ~/.distcc folder. I'll just have to grep everything see where the distcc server IP pops up.

later edit: So far "distcc" pops up in /etc in "services" file, as ports
[code]/etc/services
6549:distcc 3632/tcp
6550:distcc 3632/udp[/code]

and makepkg.conf
[code]/etc/makepkg.conf
49:#-- Make Flags: change this for DistCC/SMP systems
60:# Makepkg defaults: BUILDENV=(!distcc !color !ccache check !sign)
63:#-- distcc: Use the Distributed C/C++/ObjC compiler
69:BUILDENV=(!distcc color !ccache check !sign)
71:#-- If using DistCC, your MAKEFLAGS will also need modification. In addition,
72:#-- specify a space-delimited list of hosts running in the DistCC cluster.
73:#DISTCC_HOSTS=""[/code]

In home folder it pops up only in .bash_history and in .cache/yay/completion.cache
[code].cache/yay/completion.cache
13749:distcc-arm-avahi AUR
13750:distcc-git AUR
13751:distccd-alarm-armv7h AUR
13752:distccd-alarm-armv8 AUR
13753:distccd-arch-arm AUR
13754:distccd-x86_64 AUR
94950:distcc extra[/code]

And server IP which it does try to distribute to only comes up in /etc in two unrelated files (fail2ban whitelist and some firewall rules) and in ~/.bash_history in my home folder. Server IP only pops up in some logs and that's it. "distcc" pops up in a few files in /var/share. But one thing I notice is that it tries to access the distcc server with a high number of "cores"/threads to use, the old -j setting I had in makepkg.conf while it was active. server_ip:3632/48 . atm I have -j4 in makepkg.conf. It's like it's reading the old makepkg.conf file, for some weird reason. Tho that file doesn't exist, with those settings.
[code]find / -iname makepkg.conf
/etc/makepkg.conf[/code]
This is pretty strange.

even later edit: I also tried [code]makepkg -si --config /etc/makepkg.conf[/code] but same result.
[code]distcc[16509] (dcc_select_for_write) ERROR: IO timeout
distcc[16509] ERROR: timeout while connecting to 192.168.1.10:3632
distcc[16509] Warning: failed to distribute _cgo_export.c to 192.168.1.10:3632/48, running locally instead
# runtime/cgo
distcc[16646] (dcc_build_somewhere) Warning: failed to distribute, running locally instead[/code]

[code]grep -i distcc /etc/makepkg.conf
#-- Make Flags: change this for DistCC/SMP systems
# Makepkg defaults: BUILDENV=(!distcc !color !ccache check !sign)
#-- distcc: Use the Distributed C/C++/ObjC compiler
BUILDENV=(!distcc color !ccache check !sign)
#-- If using DistCC, your MAKEFLAGS will also need modification. In addition,
#-- specify a space-delimited list of hosts running in the DistCC cluster.
#DISTCC_HOSTS=""[/code]
quark

Postby quark » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:12 pm

Finally figured it out. I found the distcc server IP in ~/.cache/go-build, and I was trying to build yay which has some go stuff in the build process, and that was trying to reach the distcc server. Once the cached go-build dir has been wiped it seems to work fine now. yay -Scc wouldn't clear that dir. Strange issue.
quark

Postby graysky » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:10 pm

Don't use AUR helpers such as yay. They are rarely helpful and create more problems than they solve.
graysky
Developer

Return to ARMv7h